Best Mobile Contract allowing for roaming?

I've had the Giffgaff email too.
I also got an email from Martin Lewis . What do others think of the ID Mobile, the £10 with 30GB deal looks OK but how would a user get on if away for 90 days.
Their fair usage:-

Fair usage policy​

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. If so, we'll take the following action:

First of all, we'll send you a text reminding you of the fair usage policy. If you don't change your usage behaviour to comply with it, we'll also ask you to provide some sort of proof that you have strong ties to the UK, like a UK bill or bank statement.

If you don’t provide any proof of having strong ties to the UK, and you continue to roam in the EU more than you use your plan in the UK, we'll apply a surcharge to your EU roaming usage. When we do this we'll send you another text message - to make you're aware of the situation, and give you a second chance to stop roaming and avoid charges.

The surcharges that will be applied to your account if you exceed our fair usage limits are:

• 3.2p per minute
  • 1p per text
  • 0.25p per MB

Last edited:
I was with three for five years and they were certainly competitive, but their coverage in parts of Scotland was zero. I spent four days with no signal on the west coast whilst my wife was on YouTube watching videos on EE. So guess what I did, I left them and I am now with EE. I pay £16 a month and due to the fact I have halo 3 with BT I get double data (300gb.) My wife gets 8gb for which I pay £8 pm. I used to have to remove my phones sim for the mifi. But now I have an EE dongle that I use in the van with a data only sim with just 8gb data only for £7 a month. So no more having to remove my sim and use a PAYG sim. But I can donate to the max from my 300gb to feed my wives phone and the dongle. I now pay £31 a month for our two phones and a sim for the dongle. If you stick to urban areas 3 are fine, but I was sick to the back teeth of either poor or no service on our travels. Never once did 3 out perform EE for coverage, no matter were we went.

After a day or two of settling in I find it easier to purchase a local 30 day data only sim for the EU country I am visiting. No roaming worries then and sufficient data to stream whatever over the 30 days. Generally 40 to 75GB depending on how much live streamed football we watch (yes I know but we all have our vices!)

But I guess it depends on how much EU country hopping is being planned as to whether this works for you or not.

After a day or two of settling in I find it easier to purchase a local 30 day data only sim for the EU country I am visiting. No roaming worries then and sufficient data to stream whatever over the 30 days. Generally 40 to 75GB depending on how much live streamed football we watch (yes I know but we all have our vices!)

But I guess it depends on how much EU country hopping is being planned as to whether this works for you or not.
If buying a SIM in an EU country, look for one that enables use of the full data package throughout the EU, then any amount of EU country hopping should not be an issue. Réglo Mobile is one option.

I've been looking at this further.

Asda Mobile looks a fair bet. They use the Vodafone network in the UK.

Their roaming policy has a data cap of 25Gb and the fair usage policy permits up to four months outside the UK.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I have a Reglo Mobile SIM to use when in the EU so I'm not going to use much data with my UK provider but I do want to be able to make and receive phone calls and use WhatsApp when I'm abroad.

So this combination will work well for me I believe.

I have purchased an esim with EE -160gb for 24 months @ £16. I added another £3 per month which gives 50gb roaming.
This is a good deal for us as we are coming and going all the time.
Also for another £9 my wife can have a 12 month sim with which she can share my 160gb.
Also I can now put my French sim in the phone to give me two accounts and two telephone numbers in my iphone12.

If buying a SIM in an EU country, look for one that enables use of the full data package throughout the EU, then any amount of EU country hopping should not be an issue. Réglo Mobile is one option.
I lied; the Réglo Mobile small print limits the data allowance for roaming (variable according to the package selected).

I lied; the Réglo Mobile small print limits the data allowance for roaming (variable according to the package selected).
Only the 120GB package at €14.95 for 28 days has roaming around the EU but limited to 5GB outside France. Really the argument for using a SIM purchased local within the destination you are in stands. I will get Reglo SIM next week even though I have 25GB of roaming on O2 as we will use in excess of this monthly. The U.K. roaming is useful for mobile calls.

Just curious but what happens if you turn roaming off for the U.K. SIM whilst outside the U.K.?

Does it only count as 1 day of roaming if roaming is turned on and not count towards your allowance if turned off?

We,ve been using 02 in France and been coping between our 2 phones with their data allowance. Our 3rd phone which we use as a navigator with google contract was close to running out so I got a new GifGaf sim for it set it up an tried it at home all ok so waited until contract expired an put in GifGaf sim and got a message from them saying They had shut off the Roaming as the sim needed to be in regular use in the UK to qualify for their roaming allowance So don,t take a handfull of their sims thinking that should do as it may not. We got a french sim so not stuck just a 3rd gg would of been handy

• Sad
Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back