Best data sim for wifi router

Iain55

I purchased a 24 months sim from 'Three" unfortunately I've used the data in first 12 months.
Any add ons only last for 30 days.
What is the best solution to extend my data expiry date?
Or what is the best data sim with roll over data ?

It is cheaper to buy a new SIM than tha add-ons. We have a two year one and it always lasts but we don't download much.

It is cheaper to buy a new SIM than tha add-ons. We have a two year one and it always lasts but we don't download much.

I always found that when using Three data sims in the Mi-Fi, i only needed them whilst away in the motorhome and didn`t do large downloads.

I used to buy several at the same time when the price was good so a new 1GB sim cost less than £5 where as if you top the old one up 1GB cost £10.

What sim is best depends o usage patterns . We use three 24 month 24gb data sims in the workshop router.....always keep a spare , when old one runs out stick the new one in ......if we're in the mobile home in yard during summer the data only lasts about 3 months......
If we were using the mobile router full time domestically instead of landline we'd be looking for a monthly unlimited data sim.

Ive also got one of the 3 sims in my tablet....use it in the van or when we're on holiday ,it can also hotspot to wife's laptop. Probably be better to get a bigger monthly data deal on one of the phones and use that as a hotspot....but I like having multiple ways of getting online ....in case one won't work....and it goes against the grain to pay monthly for unused data during the winter months....... Just got to keep an eye on the yearly total cost of the 3 sims compared to a monthly fee.

We have just got rid of our old broadband package, and now have a Three Homefi with unlimited data. We have a mobile phone each, with very little data allowance, but have a cellular iPad with unlimited data, so we can use it in the van when we are out and about.
Three are doing a deal for existing customers, unlimited Home Broadband £9.50 for six months and then £19 for the rest of the two year contract. You don’t need a phone line, it simply plugs in, so if you move house you simply unplug it and take it with you. Download speed this morning 36mb.

I purchased a 24 months sim from 'Three" unfortunately I've used the data in first 12 months.
What is the best solution to extend my data expiry date?
Or what is the best data sim with roll over data ?
I always found that it was cheaper to just buy a new sim than top up the old one and used to get them here
https://tinyurl.com/y8fk2plg
But before changing from 3 to another supplier make sure the new one works in your area

We have just got rid of our old broadband package, and now have a Three Homefi with unlimited data. We have a mobile phone each, with very little data allowance, but have a cellular iPad with unlimited data, so we can use it in the van when we are out and about.
Three are doing a deal for existing customers, unlimited Home Broadband £9.50 for six months and then £19 for the rest of the two year contract. You don’t need a phone line, it simply plugs in, so if you move house you simply unplug it and take it with you. Download speed this morning 36mb.
I use a 3 unlimited data/calls/texts in a 3 home broadband router Rog, it is 12v so I can unplug it and take it in the van as well
Is yours like this?
6MHP_D.jpg

my huawei cube has a 3 pin plug on the home charger but i bought a usb one off e bay have used it for 3 years without problem i have an unlimited 3 sim in it £16 a month this is my only internet used at home and away in portugal spain etc i have a couple of the 24month 24gb without legs sims i carry because of fair use in europe in reality jan has an unlimited plan on her phone & 1 have 100gb so we just swap the sim if streaming a rugby match or film ,

Do you think I could take it abroad?
I take mine Rog but you are limited to 19gb per month, the routers are unlocked though so you could buy a local data sim as well if you need to, I use a lead like this from Amazon, I tried it out before the warranty expired to see if the fluctuation in voltage would affect it but it worked OK,

Been trying the Smarty sim. Uses the 3 network. Not had a chance to use it abroad for obvious reasons. Not a great success at the New Forest meeting, 3 reception there is dire. Nor at Hereford, where three had a hardware problem around the rowing club. According to the 3 shop in the town. Elsewhere it’s been fine.
There’s no reoccurring contract, so I only buy the amount of GB I think I’ll need for that month. On a busy travelling month ( Oh, please let it be soon), I’ll buy unlimited, only going out for a long weekend, 10GB. None at the moment, being stuck in Chez Trotter.
Biggest problem, only 20 GB when roaming. I’ll get around that by taking other sims with me. EE do a similar one.

I take mine Rog but you are limited to 19gb per month, the routers are unlocked though so you could buy a local data sim as well if you need to, I use a lead like this from Amazon, I tried it out before the warranty expired to see if the fluctuation in voltage would affect it but it worked OK,
Thanks Tel, I have a cellular iPad with unlimited data so if I took the Hub as well, would I get 20mb plus 20mb per month?
Also, I have had a look at the power lead, do they do one with usb instead of a ciggie lighter plug?

Last edited:
I take mine Rog but you are limited to 19gb per month,I use a lead like this from Amazon, I tried it out before the warranty expired to see if the fluctuation in voltage would affect it but it worked OK,
I've used my Huawei B311 router for several years with a 3 sim & now a vodafone sim with the same pwr lead when away and with the 3 pin adaptor in the mains at home all works fine

I use my phone as a hotspot for the tablet, satnav and firestick, 100gb for £19 per month with O2.

I also use my phone as a hot-spot. My biggest problem is when I park up in weak signal areas. There are times when I get adequate signal outside the MH but due to the aluminium skin of the MH it doesn't work inside. What is the best device to act as a signal booster? I don't want to buy something that requires another SIM card.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back