Best compact binoculars.

izwozral

Looking for a good pair of compact binoculars for long distance viewing. I would love a pair of Swarovski but at £1800 it's a big no-no.
Any recommendations?

And no, they are not for peeping tom-ing!

caledonia

I bought a pair last year. Bushnell Nature view 8x42. My budget was £100 and can highly recommend them. Clear sharp image and nice an robust.

mistericeman

We have a pair of Jessops own brand 8 x 40s in the van for general useage....
And the celestron C 90 scope for a spot of night sky observation as well as daytime use for further away stuff.

celestron_c90_mak_spotting_scope_1464021234_ce38ff26.jpg

trevskoda

My house is full of them at all prices,what i can tell you the the £16 pair bought at a car boot sale are miles better than the ones costing me squillions.

izwozral

My house is full of them at all prices,what i can tell you the the £16 pair bought at a car boot sale are miles better than the ones costing me squillions.

Send me the £16 pair and I will look into it. 🙃

I got a pair of Steiner from the auction, really good make but they have gone a bit hazy with age.

iampatman

I’ve got a pair of Steiner Safari Pro 10X26 which are superb but not sure if they still make them. Which is obviously of no help to you whatsoever 🤣
Pat

saxonborg

Opticron are good we have some which are pocket sized. If you don’t want to spend a lot then buy a pair of 8 x 30 Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars ( east german). Optics are excellent and whilst they are not as modern looking as todays binos they do the job.

colinmd

A pair of Swaro CL 8x25 compact bins will cost around £500.
Gives us a size and budget and then we can give some advice.

GWAYGWAY

We have a set of Canon 10X30 auto stabilised, imported from the USA for a LOT less the canon UK charge. Only problem was that the green rubbery surface went tacky and needed removing after a few years, the actual optics are brilliant. I would like to have had the 10X50 but never mind.

izwozral

A pair of Swaro CL 8x25 compact bins will cost around £500.
Gives us a size and budget and then we can give some advice.
Certainly no more than 10x40. I am happy to pay up to £200 and not averse to buying 2nd hand so could be looking at a pair of £500 bins for a lot less.

izwozral

We have a set of Canon 10X30 auto stabilised, imported from the USA for a LOT less the canon UK charge. Only problem was that the green rubbery surface went tacky and needed removing after a few years, the actual optics are brilliant. I would like to have had the 10X50 but never mind.

There is not a lot you can do when the rubber starts to break down, it's also quite unpleasant to touch. I had a pair of binoculars that went tacky, I kept putting talc on them as a temporary solution then just got sick of doing it and dumped them.

colinmd

Certainly no more than 10x40. I am happy to pay up to £200 and not averse to buying 2nd hand so could be looking at a pair of £500 bins for a lot less.
That's more of a mid size, at that price range I would normally be looking at Hawke Endurance ED's, but I saw this offer a couple of weeks ago, not looked through a pair myself but have read good reviews, if I get to see a pair and they are as good as reviews might be tempted, but I would never buy unless personally looking through a pair.

witzend

We have a set of Canon 10X30 auto stabilised, imported from the USA
I ordered a microphone from USA several yrs ago and got caught for import duty which wasn't so bad until the Post Office charged £20 to collect it

Tezza33

We have a pair of Jessops own brand 8 x 40s in the van for general useage....
And the celestron C 90 scope for a spot of night sky observation as well as daytime use for further away stuff.

View attachment 75732
Just found this on offer at Currys for £49, reduced from £109 for a limited time
u_10192757.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)