Battery warranties!

Phantom

I was just wondering about battery warranties so had a general look at terms and conditions.
E.g. Trickle chargers that do not have a regulated trickle charge voltage between 13.5V and 13.8V will cause early failure of the battery. Use of such chargers with the battery will void the battery’s warranty.
For applications where an alternator is present, the alternator must deliver between 14.0V and 14.7V when measured at the battery’s terminals. Alternators that do not have a regulated charge between 14.0V and 14.7V will cause early failure of the battery. Use of such alternators with the battery will also void the battery’s warranty.

So I guess if your vehicle's alternater puts out less than 14v then your battery warranty is worthless in this case?
What about smart alternaters or the voltage drop to a leisure battery?

Maybe other battery manufacturers conditions are different?

Some may ask you to bring wagon to them or a garage cert giving voltages, this happened to me 30 years back with my kit car when the latest all sing and dance battery with a 5 year warrenty came out, had to protest by blocking there door for over a hr before they relented and replaced it.

Some may ask you to bring wagon to them or a garage cert giving voltages, this happened to me 30 years back with my kit car when the latest all sing and dance battery with a 5 year warrenty came out, had to protest by blocking there door for over a hr before they relented and replaced it.

I would explain that I cannot bring the vehicle or take it to a garage to be tested as the battery is duff! :)

The tail that suppliers used to come out with was You needed to buy a replacement and they would send old battery back to manufactures to see what they'd allow which would be given to you when and if any allowance was made and if it had a 3 yr warranty and it was 18 mths old you'd only get 1/2 if you where lucky

The tail that suppliers used to come out with was You needed to buy a replacement and they would send old battery back to manufactures to see what they'd allow which would be given to you when and if any allowance was made and if it had a 3 yr warranty and it was 18 mths old you'd only get 1/2 if you where lucky
Yep toyota in belfast where i worked always tried that one on customers after buying parts, mind you most were trying it on by bringing back old starters etc.

I have a feeling that my cheap battery may be terminally ill after just 2 1/2 weeks of light use, a bit too early to speculate though without further tests! But for a further £15 I now find that I could have got another Yuasa, which 2 years on is still as good as new, damn it! But was just in a desparate rush, hey ho!

Always fit in pairs.
The best practice, but awkward until you know your longer plan. A bit like motorbike tyres, best to change as a pair but they wear at different rates. The problem is when batteries are not fitted as a pair to start with, that would be just too easy!

I must have been very lucky then with batteries, both starter and leisure beacuse i`ve never had one fail before the end of the warranty period that they offer.

The other way to look at it is that i`ve been very good in looking after the batteries, keeping them fully charged and never letting them run down.

This is usually done with solar in one form or another and i have a portable 20W solar panel with regulator on the car dash and plugs directly into the OBD port.

Due to unforeseen circumstances the car once went nearly 4 months without being started and fired up very healthily first time with a fully charged battery.

I normally replace them a year or so after the warranty period ends and weigh them in to offset the cost of new ones.

With the motorhome we do a lot of off grid camping particularly aborad in some very remote place in the Pyrenees and Rhone Alps.

The last thing i want is the dreaded click, click, click, when i turn the key to start the engine, nothing happens when i open the tap to get water for my morning brew or and equally as important try to flush the loo after the morning ritual.

The Xplorer leisure batteries are now 4 years old and working perfectly holding their charge well but i will probably change them next year at my convenience and not when they might fail in a foreign country and trying to negotiate with Johnny Forgeiner who cannot talk proper i.e. English.

This regime works for me and i`m more than happy to continue with it.

I didn’t even try to get my Bosch/Varta battery’s replaced under warranty. After reading the warranty details I didn’t think they would class them as faulty, it doesn’t cover reduced capacity from what I could tell. Although they are no longer usable as leisure battery’s for me they are great for starter battery’s, had one running the van a year now with two spares lol

I didn’t even try to get my Bosch/Varta battery’s replaced under warranty. After reading the warranty details I didn’t think they would class them as faulty, it doesn’t cover reduced capacity from what I could tell. Although they are no longer usable as leisure battery’s for me they are great for starter battery’s, had one running the van a year now with two spares lol
If its able to crank the engine then it should be ok for lite les use.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back