battery operated lights

delicagirl

hi i am looking to use battery operated lights instead of paying extortionate amounts for "campervan lights" -They will be in addition to my in-house system of mini fluorescent tubes. i dont want 'fairy lights' - strings of pretty coloured lights that look pretty but which dont give out enough light to read by .. but i am looking for some that give out a decent light. does anyone else use these and if so which ones do they recommend for ease of attachment to the van and longevity of usage from one battery.... many thanks

We also have a string of leds AA battery operated that are on the ceiling and give plenty of light for moving around the van, we have tried these under the overhead cupboards and find these to bright and to close because of the reflection on my glasses for reading

Battery lights are 400 times more expensive,try these,£2 each,led white or soft.

Attachments

• strip lights.jpg
    strip lights.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 147
Does your van already have 12V lights?
If so, are you aware that you can adapt them to LED rather than replace them to save energy?

If not and you are forced to use battery power I have one of these for the versatility. It rarely gets used but it does not leach power so always ready when I need it after a long time without use.

Cheaper versions are available:

Does your van already have 12V lights?
If so, are you aware that you can adapt them to LED rather than replace them to save energy?

If not and you are forced to use battery power I have one of these for the versatility. It rarely gets used but it does not leach power so always ready when I need it after a long time without use.

Cheaper versions are available:

You should NEVER use those COB LED lights without a voltage reducer placed inline with the supply.

I found out the hard way because they started to melt the fluorescent fitting that I took the tubes out of and replaced with the COB LED. If the voltage is high (12.5+) they also use a lot more power. I ordered variable voltage reducers for each light and set them to 12.0 volts and they are excellent.

Can't find the exact ones but these seem very similar.

Ta. Input has to be 1.5v above output, but I guess if the input drops the output will drop accordingly, which for an led lamp is probably of no consequence...

Cheap solution 😀

Just look for 12v or 5v light strings/strips
12v strip throwaway
But 5v from usb port £1 in poundland.
I have sets of those,they are not any good outside as not sealed, and very micky mouse build,ok for a inside cupboard.

Got a couple of these, one in the bathroom for nocturnal manoeuvres, the other one not used yet. USB rechargeable so no buy-in batteries.

Cheers

H

I have sets of those,they are not any good outside as not sealed, and very micky mouse build,ok for a inside cupboard.
Shez Looking for reading 12v light inside van at lower watts/amps these are less than whats fitted in old vans and colder, so no melting.

I used a solar powered shed light by the bed for reading etc, gave off enough light and if not enough sun to recharge, (we never had a problem but never used it for more than a couple of hours a day), you could always put ordinary batteries in it.

What about using a led headlight torch.
i bought 3 for kids to read with at night,not forgetting 1 for me,just over a £1 each.
Three strap ones are best so they wont slip down.
hl torch.png

Last edited:
hi trev this was one of the first things i bought when i got the van 4 years ago. it must have been hysterical to watch me.... i wear bifocal glasses and if i tilted my head to aim the light at the page, all i could see was my belly, and if i looked at the book the light appeared over on the far wall of the van !! i must have looked like a noddy donkey !!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back