Banned from standby Scottish ferries

So if I turn up in a car from the mainland I can join the queue, or if I am one of these islanders who are complaining about us, and just happen to own a Moho I can also join. What about a camper van smaller than some large people carriers or larger 4X4. Or what if there is spare capacity, will they then still follow this principal. Our ferry out to Arran in July was not full.
On my last trip to Arran heading out of the 88 vehicles we were the only Moho, on our return same again. Now I understand there are problems and I am not opposed to this policy, but I don’t like the way this has been reported.
In particular and firstly I read nowhere CalMac apologising, or thanking us for our patience, after all they, the Scottish government and Ferguson’s shipyard are the main reason for these issues, not selfish Motorhome owners who simply want to visit the islands.
But what angers me most is the flippant way the last paragraph reports the criminal acts taking place in the highlands, almost as if they are justified, as if we deserve to be attacked. Why mention something that has nothing to do with this issue. Yet again a newspaper has vilified a group of people who only wish to use their vehicles for what they were purchased for, and in many cases what they paid thousands of pounds in VAT for.

As I said I actually support what CalMac are doing but I bitterly resent the way it has been reported, yet more negativity towards us.

Last edited:
I fear the tide is against MoHo's in the Highlands and Islands and It could be a long time before our travelling pounds (£) are deemed acceptable again. Personally i feel we are being made the scapegoat (which is being inflamed by click bait media) by locals who feel their own little beautiful piece of the country is being invaded by unprecedented numbers of tourists of all kinds who are desperate for a holiday in times when it's so difficult to travel abroad. It's sad but I'll probably think twice before heading northwards again in the foreseeable future.

Also unsure why any motorhome or campervans that can fit into a parking space without overhanging it should be included. The reason they give is staying over night gives them an advantage, it does yes, but since when has penalising someone for having an advantage become acceptable.

It seems like articles on the NC500 are like busses with several coming along at once. This second article is particularly well written and although aimed at wildcampers in general, I can't help feeling the underlying bias is still aimed against people in vans. Although most of the problems listed (supermarket parking aside) are probably down to people without on board facilities and not being able to deal with a lack of infrastructure in the area. But then again.. i suppose a lack of infrastructure is what most people find appealing (myself include, if I'm being honest). I also felt the tone changed midway through the replies with the considered message from Cameron McNeish when the article writer admitted to owning a campervan as well as being a local.

I fear the tide is against MoHo's in the Highlands and Islands and It could be a long time before our travelling pounds (£) are deemed acceptable again. Personally i feel we are being made the scapegoat (which is being inflamed by click bait media) by locals who feel their own little beautiful piece of the country is being invaded by unprecedented numbers of tourists of all kinds who are desperate for a holiday in times when it's so difficult to travel abroad. It's sad but I'll probably think twice before heading northwards again in the foreseeable future.
Having recently been all up the Outer Hebrides and visited much of the Highlands all I can say is I never encountered any personal ill felling. In the Hebrides all the comments I got were about being glad to see us back. The FB pages "The Land Weeps" and "The dirty truth" are run by white setters who in no way represent the indigenous people. For these who are wondering what a "white settler" is they are the people who move to a lovely peaceful area and then either try to pickle it in aspic or change it to their views. They do not and never will represent the people who have been born and brought up in these areas. If people move to a place and fit in without problems they are not "white settlers". This happens all over the UK, not just the Highlands and Islands.

It seems like articles on the NC500 are like busses with several coming along at once. This second article is particularly well written and although aimed at wildcampers in general, I can't help feeling the underlying bias is still aimed against people in vans. Although most of the problems listed (supermarket parking aside) are probably down to people without on board facilities and not being able to deal with a lack of infrastructure in the area. But then again.. i suppose a lack of infrastructure is what most people find appealing (myself include, if I'm being honest). I also felt the tone changed midway through the replies with the considered message from Cameron McNeish when the article writer admitted to owning a campervan as well as being a local.
Yes a well written thought provoking article by a thinking man, who seems void of any propaganda trashed out by our media. Ok I could complain about his comment about a van parking in a supermarket, or the no overnight parking signs that only make matters worse, but on this occasion I won’t, because these comments are an attempt to balance out things in a fair and equitable manner.
What he does highlight clearly is were the real problems lie, and they are not from us. Our only crime is that we are easily distinguished from the people who leave mess wherever they go, and because of this we make for easy targets. Good article 5 minutes well spent reading it.

Last edited:
Having recently been all up the Outer Hebrides and visited much of the Highlands all I can say is I never encountered any personal ill felling. In the Hebrides all the comments I got were about being glad to see us back. The FB pages "The Land Weeps" and "The dirty truth" are run by white setters who in no way represent the indigenous people. For these who are wondering what a "white settler" is they are the people who move to a lovely peaceful area and then either try to pickle it in aspic or change it to their views. They do not and never will represent the people who have been born and brought up in these areas. If people move to a place and fit in without problems they are not "white settlers". This happens all over the UK, not just the Highlands and Islands.
I suspect that is especially true in Cornwall. I would guess that some Londoners with second homes down there are often very vocal especially as they gain no income from our presence

A very good article but the following taken from it is my concern with the aims of Campra. The loss of wilding spots is of course not Campras goal but could well be an unwanted consequence if they succeed.

One of the things that makes our landscape special is its sense of being ‘wild.’ Plans to provide low-cost facilities for motorhomes might be more welcome if they included parallel measures to exclude informal park-ups around villages, settlements, and around sites of cultural and historic significance

Well said and I couldn’t agree more.

Nail on the head, spot on Mac.

A very good article but the following taken from it is my concern with the aims of Campra. The loss of wilding spots is of course not Campras goal but could well be an unwanted consequence if they succeed.

One of the things that makes our landscape special is its sense of being ‘wild.’ Plans to provide low-cost facilities for motorhomes might be more welcome if they included parallel measures to exclude informal park-ups around villages, settlements, and around sites of cultural and historic significance
In CAMpRA we are very aware of this. Most of the leadership are used to being able to go offgrid and wish to continue to do so. We are trying to get safe overnight parking in places where the pressures are to ban us. If we don't do anything there will soon be no free places left. We quote Hawick as a great template as it is free and has been shown to boost trade in the town. We need all the help we can get to keep the places we love to stop.

So if I turn up in a car from the mainland I can join the queue, or if I am one of these islanders who are complaining about us, and just happen to own a Moho I can also join. What about a camper van smaller than some large people carriers or larger 4X4. Or what if there is spare capacity, will they then still follow this principal. Our ferry out to Arran in July was not full.
On my last trip to Arran heading out of the 88 vehicles we were the only Moho, on our return same again. Now I understand there are problems and I am not opposed to this policy, but I don’t like the way this has been reported.
In particular and firstly I read nowhere CalMac apologising, or thanking us for our patience, after all they, the Scottish government and Ferguson’s shipyard are the main reason for these issues, not selfish Motorhome owners who simply want to visit the islands.
But what angers me most is the flippant way the last paragraph reports the criminal acts taking place in the highlands, almost as if they are justified, as if we deserve to be attacked. Why mention something that has nothing to do with this issue. Yet again a newspaper has vilified a group of people who only wish to use their vehicles for what they were purchased for, and in many cases what they paid thousands of pounds in VAT for.

As I said I actually support what CalMac are doing but I bitterly resent the way it has been reported, yet more negativity towards us.
I agree, I hate all this negativity. The ferries do a good job of effectively rationing the number of visitors on each island and that is to the advantage of both the visitors and the islanders. You only need to try to visit Skye in the high season to see how unlimited access has spoiled many parts of the island... just try to park to walk in to the hills from the Glenbrittle road.

I agree, I hate all this negativity. The ferries do a good job of effectively rationing the number of visitors on each island and that is to the advantage of both the visitors and the islanders. You only need to try to visit Skye in the high season to see how unlimited access has spoiled many parts of the island... just try to park to walk in to the hills from the Glenbrittle road.
I reckon simply giving priority to the islanders on standbye would have been fairer. Yet again we are singled out for special treatment. I fully appreciate that islanders sometimes need unplanned visits to the mainland, and I support them being treated differently, but to say a car should be given preference over us is clearly wrong. And the fact that these problems have in part been created by the very people who have decided this makes, matters even worse.

But we always book well in advance, and I would always advise this.
I have emailed CalMac with my views and await a reply.

You only need to try to visit Skye in the high season to see how unlimited access has spoiled many parts of the island... just try to park to walk in to the hills from the Glenbrittle road.
Much as I loved Skye, this was the very reason why I stopped going there a couple of years after the damned bridge was opened!

When you go to Calmac's ferry booking page you get this message.

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) request that during the Covid-19 pandemic, visitors in caravans, motorhomes and campervans pre-book with official campsites, before travelling. This will help to protect the health of visitors and our communities, manage numbers properly and ensure that waste can be disposed of safely, without detriment to the local environment. This applies to all visitor destinations within the Western Isles.

It seems reasonable to assume that if you book a campsite then you will book a ferry as well, and that it is likely that any vans going on standby will not have booked anything and will be wilding. Nevertheless that is rather a blanket assumption. As well as that, when I was up in NW Scotland a couple of weeks ago there were plenty of people just sleeping in their cars.
So I disagree with discriminating against vans, but do agree that islanders should be given priority regardless of vehicle.

My email to CalMac
If anyone wishes to copy and paste this to email them feel free to do so.

I am a regular user of your ferries and use your app to make my reservations.
I never do actually turn up without a reservation, but I read with consternation your recent decision to ban motorhomes from standbye.

To be perfectly frank I find that decision wrong, and grossly unfair. And when we take into consideration the effects of poor forward planning by yourselves, and the ongoing issues with regards to fleet replacement, this decision by you only further serves to underline just how wrong and unfair this decision is. If you had planned properly you would have had greater capacity, and yet we are singled out for such treatment, by those partially responsible for what’s going on. And let’s be clear Covid has created problems for you, but Covid does not differentiate between cars and motorhomes, you do.

Why not simply give precedence to the islanders in such situations, giving them preference to everyone else. Then allow as many vehicles as possible to sail after doing so. Will you treat a small camper van differently from a large 4X4, or a people carrier with a family or two onboard. What if the ferry is not full as ours was on a recent crossing from Ardrossan to Brodick, will you still turn away a Motorhome.

Singling out any group of people for whatever reason for “special “ treatment is wrong.
And quite frankly who ever conceived this idea clearly has issues with us.

Yours sincerely

auto reply

We are currently dealing with a high volume of emails and are working hard to get through your enquiries as quickly as possible - we aim to respond to you within 10 days. Please do not resend your email as this could delay the process.

If your enquiry is in relation to a ferry reservation that requires immediate attention please contact one of our Customer Services Team by phone on 0800 066 5000

Our current opening hours are 08:00am – 17:00pm, 7 days a week.

We can also deal with enquiries of an urgent nature via social media @CalMac_Updates

You can apply for a refund online by completing our refund form here: https://www.calmac.co.uk/refund-request-form

For any information regarding how CalMac are dealing with COVID-19 please see our FAQs https://www.calmac.co.uk/covid19/faqs

In the meantime, please feel free to check our Frequently Asked Questions on our website https://www.calmac.co.uk/faqs

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:
Reply from CalMac and my response to their bland reply.

Good Morning,

I am sorry for the delay in response, We have had a large number of enquiries.

We have taken this decision so to utilise our space onboard when taking vehicles on from the standby queue. We do not have anything "against" the use of motorhomes, we only ask that they book ahead on out busiest routes as they can still turn up for non-bookable routes. I am sorry that this has caused you grievance with us and hope to still see you onboard in future.

If you require any further assistance then please feel free to check out our Frequently Asked Questions section on our website https://www.calmac.co.uk/faqs
Kind regards,

Alan
Customer Advisor
CalMac Ferries Ltd

Dear sir/madam,

Clearly you are differentiating between every other type of vehicle and motorhomes. Why not treat every type of vehicle the same. Cars, lorries, people carriers and others can all join the queue but we are banned from doing so.
We are being singled out for “special” treatment.
Your reply ignores my reference to problems within CalMac which you must bear some responsibility for, which in turn has to some extent created these issues. All you had to do was give preference to islanders when queuing, but instead you treat us differently from everyone else who use your ferries.

Yours sincerely

This policy puzzles me. In the case of the Outer Hebrides you book Oban to Barra and Stornaway to Ullapool. The ferries in between the islands are normal. However if you run late you postpone your return leg and rebook. This could mean staying longer in the Hebrides unplanned which seems to be what Calmac are trying to prevent. It is flawed thinking and won’t achieve anything.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back