Bailey motorhomes advice and 760 SE approach

barryd

Going to look at a 760SE Approach next week

I know from a previous thread on another forum from a member who sent me all their figures that this van on a 3850kg chassis is capable of taking the Armitage scooter rack and a small scooter and can legally stay within the permitted weights (just) so I am keen to try one as a replacement for our aging Kontiki.

So I am after some advice on either this model or Bailey in general. Some tell me there were issues on some models with leaks and some recalls. I believe this model has the Alu-tech shell (2012 model) but there is still timber in the floors to look out for.

will be looking at it on Tuesday all being well.

Any thoughts or tips?

I have the 740, bought it from new and in fact the warranty has just run out and a week before it ran out I noticed wet and spongy floor behind nearside wheel arch, Bailey are honouring the warranty and are paying for the repair under warranty.
However this is the second time its needed warranty work in its 10 year life. in 2012 they seemed to have issues with sealing the sides to the floor all over the vehicle including the cab interface across all models. Mine was sorted at year 4, the wheel arches being the main problem but locker doors were also a problem.
I would think by now a 2012 model would have been sorted, if you can lift the lino around the wheel arches do so or look underneath and check for gaps around the wheel arch interface to the floor.
Hopefully its had annual habitation checks and the paperwork should be available.
My current leak is thought to be a rear window seal, nothing to do with the sealing of the walls to the floor.

I have the 740, bought it from new and in fact the warranty has just run out and a week before it ran out I noticed wet and spongy floor behind nearside wheel arch, Bailey are honouring the warranty and are paying for the repair under warranty.
However this is the second time its needed warranty work in its 10 year life. in 2012 they seemed to have issues with sealing the sides to the floor all over the vehicle including the cab interface across all models. Mine was sorted at year 4, the wheel arches being the main problem but locker doors were also a problem.
I would think by now a 2012 model would have been sorted, if you can lift the lino around the wheel arches do so or look underneath and check for gaps around the wheel arch interface to the floor.
Hopefully its had annual habitation checks and the paperwork should be available.
My current leak is thought to be a rear window seal, nothing to do with the sealing of the walls to the floor.

Thanks. That doesnt sound too good. Will pay attention to that and check the paper work and habitation check history. It will get a habitation check and a six month warranty I am told.

Starting to get concerned now. I posted also on OAL and it seems another well respected knowledgeable member has posted similar.

I don't want to write it off as it ticks so many boxes but I think evidence of a history of hab checks will be important. Can this issue be rectified easily. It doesn't sound that easy to detect though

My damp repairs to the hab dining area in the area behind the cab on one side cost £2,100 plus 20% vat.
Different vehicle and had been "ignored" BUT be aware.

Sadly I dont think its just Bailey, to a degree all vehicles will be susceptile to damp. Its catching it early enough. On a bailey its only that floor to wall interface, there is no timber anywhere else due to its alu frame construction.

Why do they keep using wood and ply in them anyway, on doors etc that's normally not a problem, but anywhere on the floor, walls or roof should be a no no nowadays, sealants used don't work, caravans are better if two wheels as there isn't any serious twisting like you get in a MoHo.

Why do they keep using wood and ply in them anyway, on doors etc that's normally not a problem, but anywhere on the floor, walls or roof should be a no no nowadays, sealants used don't work, caravans are better if two wheels as there isn't any serious twisting like you get in a MoHo.
One of the reasons I will be going down the pvc route when I replace my recently sold Pilote C class.
As has been mentioned with all the twisting etc when on the move no wonder water ingress is a problem with loads of A & C class.
On a pvc apart from windows and roof lights water ingress shouldn’t be a problem.

I guess the questions are on the Bailey, how can the damp be detected early, if it does develop a damp floor issue is it an easy job to fit new floor sections and most importantly what can be done to stop or prevent this problem happening in the first place or again?

I would consider a PVC if I could find one that was three or four berth that had sufficient payload to carry the scooter and rack. Ideally with a rear lounge layout and some kind of front dinette. I have looked but it seems almost impossible to find one.

One of the reasons I will be going down the pvc route when I replace my recently sold Pilote C class.
As has been mentioned with all the twisting etc when on the move no wonder water ingress is a problem with loads of A & C class.
On a pvc apart from windows and roof lights water ingress shouldn’t be a problem.
Very true, cept I had a roof leak in our 07 Relay, where the cab roof joins the van rood3 parts come together and they hadn't bothered to overlap them so just put mastic over the 1/2 inch sized hole, Liz kept complaining about a wet seat belt, after my comments met with a stony silence I found a wall just right to look on the roof my gob was smacked to see the hole, Duct tape to the rescue til we got home.

The only real problem apart from windows which do leak as the van deforms and then relaxes with the heat differential (much better if they spray foamed it properly not the crap they seem to think is any use in a van) ribbed roofs not conducive to sealing, also as they get older if not well looked after the dreaded tin worm needs addressing, so stay well clear of anything with a VW or 3 pointed star on the front.

We'd have had another PVC if we could have found one with a rear lounge and beds long enough to have singles, La-Strada seems to be the only one but too expensive for their age.

Very true, cept I had a roof leak in our 07 Relay, where the cab roof joins the van rood3 parts come together and they hadn't bothered to overlap them so just put mastic over the 1/2 inch sized hole, Liz kept complaining about a wet seat belt, after my comments met with a stony silence I found a wall just right to look on the roof my gob was smacked to see the hole, Duct tape to the rescue til we got home.

The only real problem apart from windows which do leak as the van deforms and then relaxes with the heat differential (much better if they spray foamed it properly not the crap they seem to think is any use in a van) ribbed roofs not conducive to sealing, also as they get older if not well looked after the dreaded tin worm needs addressing, so stay well clear of anything with a VW or 3 pointed star on the front.

We'd have had another PVC if we could have found one with a rear lounge and beds long enough to have singles, La-Strada seems to be the only one but too expensive for their age.

Whats the 3 pointed star Kev? Presume you mean Mercedes. Tin worm ****! Now I have to worry about tin worm? Why are Mercs and VW more prone to that (whatever it is)?

Whats the 3 pointed star Kev? Presume you mean Mercedes. Tin worm ****! Now I have to worry about tin worm? Why are Mercs and VW more prone to that (whatever it is)?
next time you pull up at the lights just notice how rusty they are even when quite new, from what I surmise, they don't dip them like Fiat etc, if you get a stone chip ignore it at your peril but even then the side marker lights rub as they move so it can start there as well, tin worm is rust but it looks like a worm before it breaks through the paint.

Are you having fun yet mate ;) ;)

next time you pull up at the lights just notice how rusty they are even when quite new, from what I surmise, they don't dip them like Fiat etc, if you get a stone chip ignore it at your peril but even then the side marker lights rub as they move so it can start there as well, tin worm is rust but it looks like a worm before it breaks through the paint.

Are you having fun yet mate ;) ;)

No!!! I am sick to death at looking at motorhomes and payloads etc. Every time I revisit it, it drives me mad. As said on FACTS, I think I might look at a brand new PVC now. Question is will they take a scooter?

No!!! I am sick to death at looking at motorhomes and payloads etc. Every time I revisit it, it drives me mad. As said on FACTS, I think I might look at a brand new PVC now. Question is will they take a scooter?

I don't know, but don't see why a panel van wouldn't take as much weight, if not more than a coachbuilt, at the rear. As long as GVW etc are the same.

I don't know, but don't see why a panel van wouldn't take as much weight, if not more than a coachbuilt, at the rear. As long as GVW etc are the same.

It would be great to hear from someone who had done it. I just dont know if we can downsize and make it work. Having something new or nearly new thats not going to rot appeals though.

Adria Twin 3 full size beds
I've always though that the 2 front seats are the most comfortable if fitted with swivels to turn into the living area rear bed with plenty of storage underneath
and one of those jockey wheeled bolt on racks for the scooter ? so adding little weight to the rear axle

Adria Twin 3 full size beds
I've always though that the 2 front seats are the most comfortable if fitted with swivels to turn into the living area rear bed with plenty of storage underneath
and one of those jockey wheeled bolt on racks for the scooter ? so adding little weight to the rear axle

I really want to avoid a Hydratrail or any kind of trailer for the scooter if possible. After you have used a Rack for 14 years they seem a complete faff to me. Too many moving parts, wheels joints and messing about for my liking. Their legality is questionable I believe also.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back