Badly Fitting Door (copied over from Motorhomer)

winks

On our Hobby 750 the side door is ill fitting and leaves a 6mm gap at the bottom opposite the hinge side. There was a crude bit of a bodge done with some pipe insulation when we bought the van but that has decayed so I've taken it off. This a curved door to fit the body profile but I'm not averse to tweaking the bottom foot or so to make it slightly compress the existing door seal and thereby keep all this lovely warm air in the van and avoid having my lug bent by a below ideal temperature Jockess.

Any ideas? Damned if I can see a way of manually exerting enough force to bring it back into shape.

1642767561188.jpeg

1642767596400.jpeg

Cheers

H

Can you get any adjustment on the hinges?

If not then remove the door completely and try to bend it back into shape. A different profile seal might help. I had to do similar on the 2 Burstners I had. I got new seals from https://sealsdirect.co.uk/

Id remove the door, cut inside frame leaving a taper gap, bend door outer to the inner gap classes and either weld or plate and rivet at each side, easy peasy job, if you have the tools and skill.

Id remove the door, cut inside frame leaving a taper gap, bend door outer to the inner gap classes and either weld or plate and rivet at each side, easy peasy job, if you have the tools and skill.
This is from a Hobby forum I posted the same question on.

We know someone who had the same problem……they held the door open with your left hand tightly about two feet or so up from the bottom and use a rubber mallet to tap the bottom corner of the door on the aluminium strip. It worked for them

So I might just give it a good tw**ing win a malik. That's about as far as my skills run to Trev 🤣

Cheers

H

This is from a Hobby forum I posted the same question on.

We know someone who had the same problem……they held the door open with your left hand tightly about two feet or so up from the bottom and use a rubber mallet to tap the bottom corner of the door on the aluminium strip. It worked for them

So I might just give it a good tw**ing win a malik. That's about as far as my skills run to Trev 🤣

Cheers

H
Just hold the door well open - don't want the hand holding the door crushed between door and frame when hitting the door with the mallet! Personally, I'd have been tempted to try more gradual exertion of pressure rather than sudden impact, but if the latter is a proven solution...

You will warp or damage the door as the side skins must be cut/crest as they will not deform by themselves allowing the bottom to bend in.

Looks like someone has tried to force the door open I presume you have checked for hinge adjustment?.you could try the dodgy bodge method place van close to a wall sit on floor between Wall and door push with feet on door bottom with feet using wall as a backrests may Give Enough force to bend door .not a recommendation more a last resort . Looks like the door is bent from the bottom hinge .

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to take it to a bodyshop and seek advice. Their staff are experts in reshaping panels etc to fit.

Might cost you a wee bit, bad news I know, but you're likely to get a good outcome.

Way off topic, I know, but, every time I see the title of this thread, I think of Badly Drawn Boy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back