Are vans over 3500kg a problem?

Moped

We have noted the discussion about payloads and large garages in the drop down bed topic. Specifically the comment about what is the point of a large garage if you have a small payload?

Now we do currently have a drop down bed 3500kg motorhome which we do actually like for the reasons stated of having a large daytime lounge and a nice large combined washroom shower area at the rear with plenty of storage and a garage.

We are considering upgrading to a 4500kg motorhome with a large continental style garage in which we have the option of storing a scooter. There does not seem anything in the 3500kg category with anything like a decent payload so a move over this 3500kg category seems inevitable if we do decide on a change. A length increase from 6.7m to around 8m would also be required.

It would be great to have feedback from those who have heavier and longer motorhomes.

What are the real life experiences of those who live in the world of over 3500kg+++ 7.5m++++ motorhomes?

I accept the legal position relating to speed limits, motorway toll categories, and licence reviews at 70.

But what are they like to live with? Parking, manouvering, occasional campsite restrictions and for wild camping, etc.

4,100kg and 7.5m motorhome here and no problems IMHO.

I ignore the 3,500kg weight restrictions on aires in France just the same as the Froggies do however ...............

There is one thing that really bloody annoys me and that is the price jump on ferries once you go over 7.0m :mad:

The extra charge for 0.5m seem very disproportionate to me.

We went from 4.5 to 3.5 just before I lost C1 for medical reasons.

New van is 7. 5 m and no problems. Plus I usually tow a trailer which is another 2.5m .

There are a few places when we are a bit too big, but this is length not weight. Parking in town centres is pretty well impossible, but this is true for anything larger than a PVC.

My bus is 5.5 tonne & 7.7m long. Never had any issues getting where I wanted to get. Majority of weight limits are 7.5tonne so not a problem. Mpg is quite reasonable. Bus is limited to 60mph so speed limits aren't an issue. Extra weight gives me breathing space, plus a hundred quid a year saving on road tax. Win Win far as I can see. Next one I build will probably be 7.5 tonne unless I can get my hgv back then I might even go bigger.....👍😉

The Nest is 30ft from Bumper to Bumper & has 4500kg max weight capacity that must be distributed at 1400 kg on extreme rear axle, 1400kg on inner rear axle & 1680 on front axle (yeah I know the maths don’t work,,,But Hey THATS What it says if I remember correctly 🤷🏻‍♂️).
I normally run The Nest FULLY stocked & Loaded with my needs as a Full time Livaboard at all times at around the 1100, 1150 & 1600 kg respectively that I DO actually check periodically at Public weight Bridges or the ‘Cleaner’ Bigger scrap yards for piece of mind.
This means I can chuck plenty of Donuts in the back when on offer, 25 lt of Diesel & 10 lt of Petrol that lives in my Back Box, a Spare full 6 kg Propane bottle that lives in my rear locker & use BEFORE switching to my Refillable tank supply the above 3 items only normally carried when planning to be out the way for extended periods of time.
Dry wood that I pick up at this time of year or a cpl of bags of Homefire Ovals for Nesty (My Multi Fuel Stove) can all be thrown in the back without thought & STILL won’t be anywhere near the Max all up weight capacity.
The Nest gives ‘ON AN AVERAGE’ 27 mpg
It’s all about piece of mind & Limiting things to worry about for me.

Size is a bit of a problem in UK.
Easy in France and Scandinavia.
Mine is 7.5m 4.5 tonne but still manages 30mpg.
Absolutely a no brainer to have a big one if you go on longer trips.
IMG_20190531_063228.jpg

Our van is only 3250kg and 6m. By being small and narrow we can get to places we‘d otherwise miss, and because we can fit in many car parking spaces there’s no need for a scooter. We always use the on board shower which is plenty large enough.
The lounge is as comfortable as any I’ve seen in a motorhome.
We do have to make the bed up at night, but have got it down to a less than 2 minute job which saves at least a metre over having a fixed bed.
We do have to make the most of storage space and could not carry things such as barbecues or a generator.
It’s a very personal choice, but I certainly wouldn’t choose to swap for something over 3500kg.

Mine is 7.8mtrs and 4tonne but I always have a handcycle on the bike rack which puts me about 8.5 mtrs. It has never stopped me getting anywhere I wanted and I have surprised a few surfers when they have seen me. I am not too worried about tight spaces scraping though

To balance things

hav'nt checked but maybe I forgot to post the email that I recieved from the head of department of HGV and PSV in Swansea.

Good morning,

These are the definitions in The Road Vehicles(Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 as amended.

motor caravan

a motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their

effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are

reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation

for its users.

Living Van,

a vehicle used primarily as living accommodation by one or more persons, and which

is also used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one

or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle.

A motorbike is not needed for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle it is an optional extra so therefore the vehicle carrying a motorbike is a living van and not motorhome.

Those lockers are for carrying items such as an awning and furniture to use in that awning for example. Or a disabled scooter if one of the occupants is disabled.

If you do not like this, and it would appear that you do not, you will need to take it up with your MP to see if you can get that regulation changed.

Regards

Philip Harrison

Heavy Vehicle Technical Officer.
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
Phone: 01792454206, Fax 01792 454387

I am obliged to emphasise that this advice is the view of DVSA and is not intended to be an interpretation of the law;
Only a court of law is able to give a legal, definitive interpretation

[IMG alt="trevskoda"]https://motorhomebuilder.com/data/avatars/m/1/1164.jpg?1546125316[/IMG]
trevskoda
An insurance co will find a way to wiggle out of paying in a smash leaving you to foot the bill,as for going to court,more expence,think id forget a bike and not chance it.
There has been a upsurge of rd spot checks round here and vans campers have been pulled over,not sure if there looking for red fuel but one had the guts out all over the rd with cops and doe going through it,maybe brexit looming not sure.

I keep my bus pass in my garage, I considered towing it, but decided the garage was better. But when crossing the border it’s of no use, so I keep it in my wallet.
Paying for buses in England is painful for a Scot with a bus pass. :)

Just one point,you cannot carry a scooter in the garage now,it must be on a rack at rear.
If you want it inside then the van must be registered as a living van and not a motorcaravan.
You will invaladate you insurance if you do.
Please explain a little more, as to what difference does it make whether its inside or outside on a rack.

Seriously, the range of new electric seated scooters are worth a look.

Pros? Cost effective, no mot tests /no fuel costs / smaller to carry/ less weight / gets to the front of all the queues
Cons? none I can think of unless you're a person who feels you may look "foolish", or you need 2 seats, but in all the major cities now these are used by businessmen daily.
as low as couple hundred quid, but my brother (55) has one of these more expensive ones below for getting to work and back, slight off road style this one.
But they are defo worth a look esp if you want to head down the sea front, cycle paths, woodland etc.

And my son tells me lots of his friends are into them more now and hes thinking of getting one, instead of using his car to work, I think they will gain popularity.

I read a few weeks ago that quite a few Countries are bringing in new laws and restrictions as there have been many accidents and even fatalities
Yes Ive seen similar, I think there are some cheap import with higher speeds being brought in on the black.
I suppose as it grows then some laws will need changing, including WHERE they can be used, public roads etc. Remember the first person killed by the first motorised car, Bridget Driscoll at about 5 mph I think. :confused:

I see a few down the cycle paths round my way, but as for whats legal in what country ??? defo better for the environment though.

Last edited:
Just one point,you cannot carry a scooter in the garage now,it must be on a rack at rear.
If you want it inside then the van must be registered as a living van and not a motorcaravan.
You will invaladate you insurance if you do.

I noted that several motorhome manufacturers at the Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC last October promoted their motorhome garages as suitable for scooters and motorbikes with load capacities of between 200kg and 350kg. I specifically asked questions about how these would be secured in the garage and at no time was this issue raised.

Reviews of motorhomes with motorcycle friendly garages do not mention any legal aspects of carrying a motorcycle onboard either. Does a motorcycle stored in a garage that cannot be accessed from inside the van count as being inside the van? This is an entirely different situation to a van owned by a competition motorcyclist where the habitation area is also the workshop.

This cannot be an issue in mainland Europe and if it is an issue must surely be UK specific only.

Interesting thread never the less so please keep it up!

You cannot use them on roads cycle paths or anywhere people have excess,you can only use on priv land,police here take them of kids all the time,and do you know if your child is caught on one daddy can get points on his licence here,i expect same on mainland.
The only thing can be used is a invalid electric vh 3 or 4 wheel.

" This item is not suitable for use as a mobility scooter or for commuting stated in the spec

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back