Any advise please?

JonSue

I have 2 100 amp batteries connected and 1 2000 watt inverter but I can't boil a small kettle for a cup of tea. The inverter just starts Beeping after about a minute and the kettle is just tepid. Testing both batteries show 12.8 v Help

A kettle uses an average of 1800W but the startup wattage may be higher than 2000.

Do you know the wattage of the kettle?

My thoughts exactly Trev. The OP may have a good reason for trying this but it would seem to me that for all the good uses an invertor can be used for a kettle does not seem one of them. I also expect Rob is on the money. It will be too much power when it starts to boil.

My thoughts exactly Trev. The OP may have a good reason for trying this but it would seem to me that for all the good uses an invertor can be used for a kettle does not seem one of them. I also expect Rob is on the money. It will be too much power when it starts to boil.
Yes most big kettles are around 2500/2800 w and would require a 3500 output inverter which would kill a single battery dead maybe even two.
And the feed cables would have to be as thick as an elephants trunk to carry the juice.

We used a 900w kettle (along with a microwave/slow cooker for 5 years or so, in our all electric cooking transit via a 3000 watt inverter/3 x 100ah batteries etc

But make sure the connection are up to it
OK a bit slower but will do if you do not want to use gas.

Warning
I over used one in a car and nearly flattened the battery
It would not start but we wer on a slight slope so a bump start worked
Travel kettles use at least 10 amps but that is OK for a short period and better than 12V to 240v and mega amps

Yes a 700w kettle which i have works, but would it not be better heating a tin kettle on gas and so not hammering the batteries with such a draw.
The problem with that is in Devon we can't buy 7kg gas anywhere! Calor are blaming XCovid for a shortage of bottles to refill

A kettle uses an average of 1800W but the startup wattage may be higher than 2000.

Do you know the wattage of the kettle?
Thank you for your reply. Whoops Iv'e tried it now with a 600w travel kettle but still no joy! Do you think it's both batteries are deceased they are reading 12.8 on a multimeter. I have another one reading 14.7 attached to a solar panel

Are you stuck with 7 kg gas bottles ? Only the one.?
That might be ok for. Weekend van or regular use of campsite hook ups.
If you want to use your van more, especially wilding...

You might be looking at refillable gas bottles.
You can get Gaslows or Gas-its at a discount on here

Thank you for your reply. Whoops Iv'e tried it now with a 600w travel kettle but still no joy! Do you think it's both batteries are deceased they are reading 12.8 on a multimeter. I have another one reading 14.7 attached to a solar panel
If you're using an inverter with huge loads like your kettle then your batteries need to be top notch.
Assuming you're fully charging your batteries between each attempt do the following:
Using the 600W kettle.
Connect your voltmeter to the batteries and leave the meter connected while you run the kettle, monitor the voltage readings and note the start voltage and the end voltage, ie when the inverter stops working. Also the time between start and finish.
Do the same again but this time connect your meter at the 12V + and - terminals at the inverter.
Report back.

If you're using an inverter with huge loads like your kettle then your batteries need to be top notch.
Assuming you're fully charging your batteries between each attempt do the following:
Using the 600W kettle.
Connect your voltmeter to the batteries and leave the meter connected while you run the kettle, monitor the voltage readings and note the start voltage and the end voltage, ie when the inverter stops working. Also the time between start and finish.
Do the same again but this time connect your meter at the 12V + and - terminals at the inverter.
Report back.
Hi Merl, I am on the case and will get back probably tomorrow Thanks x

The one from china will be advertised as 2000w for a split second and more like 500w continues, I have a soft start smart nikki which is rated at 600w but in fact can only give 400w constant use.
inv a.jpg

Thank you everyone for your kind advise .On the hunt now for a travel kettle
If you are not fitted with a pace-maker, then I would suggest you also consider an Induction Hob rather than a kettle.

You will be able to boil a kettle of water on an induction hob as fast as with a kettle of the same power. A stove-top kettle that works on an induction hob will work on a gas hob just as well (I use the same collapsible kettle on both), and you will also have a device that givess you much more flexibility.
I actually carry a pair of 500W Portable ones and can take them outside to use under the awning as well as inside the Motorhome.

Something to be aware of though ... almost all induction hobs work by cycling through full power and off to average the power selected. so if you get a 1000W hob and set it to 500W, you will still need an inverter capable of delivering 1000W. (my 500W ones are a maximum of 500W)

I have 2 100 amp batteries connected and 1 2000 watt inverter but I can't boil a small kettle for a cup of tea. The inverter just starts Beeping after about a minute and the kettle is just tepid. Testing both batteries show 12.8 v Help
First thing i'd check is the power requirements of the kettle. If its exceeding the output of the inverter that will cause an alarm. Next i'd check size of the cables from battery to inverter. Volt drop is a real problem on 12v(power being used to warm cables), particularly at higher currents, you may find even though volts are high leaving battery, they arrive low enough at inverter to cause a low voltage trip. I run a similar rig with 1400w draw microwave and need at least 25mm tails and feeds from split charge main alternator to carry the 116 amp (1400/12) required, and thats splitting the power from main , aux batts & alternator & solar input, and assuming I can keep voltage from dipping below 12v. Also most pure leisure batteries are not designed to supply high currents, they have higher internal resistances therefore also suffer from volt drop. Check voltage at inverter input when under load. I get over this by always running the engine when microwave is on. Be real careful with running such high loads, the currents at 12v are so massive , fire is a real risk due to stuff melting. Make sure all cables and accessories are properly specced for the current and everything is super tight, appropriately fused and regularly inspected for overheating. If in any doubt about cable design consult a decent electrical engineer. Refillable gas bottle might be the way forward, or as others suggested a far lower powered kettle. Or even a twig stove/kelly kettle for emergencies. More batteries would also combat the leisure battery internal resistance issue but gets heavy & expensive. Hybrid batteries could help if not already fitted

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back