Anxious MOT Days

antiquesam

You book it in for the MOT then have an anxious wait until the day arrives. You take it to the garage, give it word of encouragement before leaving it there. Then you wait, like a father outside the maternity unit, for the dreaded phonecall.
I went through this with my 24 year old van this week. Yesterday was the big day and the result was "PASS". A bottle of wine was opened last night as I dreamed of another year of freedom. As a special treat for her I'll book her in for some pampering, to get a few rust spots seen to and she'll look like new again (well in my eyes anyway).

Yep, Most will feel your ‘Anticipation’ feelings in this annual process that we have to put our vehicles through. But Hey, Hey Well done to your van 👍,

I've had the old girl for eight years now with the intention of keeping her for two, but every year she soldiers on and passes the test. Apart from oil and filter changes she's only had the odd new battery and half an exhaust. That's why I always fear the worst that must come one year.

They are having a crack down on motorcycle mot testers at the moment.
If the tester misses anything on a motorbike and and passes something that should fail. :(

Took mine in for the first time this year and the guy just let me drive it in and operate all the buttons and switches for him. Then it went on the brake tester. Didn't realise you could throw a MH around so much. All passed and see him again next year. Used the Local Council garage where they test all their own kit.

When in the U.K. I always took my van to local council depot as if any problems they pointed them out whilst I was there ,also they didn’t do repairs so were not looking for work.Now living in Portugal there only seem to be government run centers and you just turn up the longest I have had to wait was 30 minutes and you work lights etc. yourself in and finished usually in 45min.

Took mine in for the first time this year and the guy just let me drive it in and operate all the buttons and switches for him. Then it went on the brake tester. Didn't realise you could throw a MH around so much. All passed and see him again next year. Used the Local Council garage where they test all their own kit.

taking a vehcile to council test station...what happens if vehicle fails........someone said if vehicle fails mot....then you are not allowed to drive it ..full stop.....not even from testing station to home..........or was this information incorrect....
anyone know for sure........seems a bit of a strict rule........think at one time you were allowed to take it to garage to be repaired,,,,,,with pre appointment..

taking a vehcile to council test station...what happens if vehicle fails........someone said if vehicle fails mot....then you are not allowed to drive it ..full stop.....not even from testing station to home..........or was this information incorrect....
anyone know for sure........seems a bit of a strict rule........think at one time you were allowed to take it to garage to be repaired,,,,,,with pre appointment..
I believe you are allowed to drive it to a garage for repair and back to the MOT station.

I had mine tested yesterday. I'm used to being allowed to walk around with the MOT tester at the place I have my car tested at but this particular garage wouldn't allow me into the workshop so I was relegated to the viewing area. (I used to be a Health and safety Manager so I can respect that decision)
I could see from the viewing area that the tester adjusted the headlights.
On completion I was told that due to headlight being out of adjustment they had to issue a fail then retest again as apparently if a headlight is out of adjustment it's an immediate fail? My vehicle is just 4 years old with just over 13,000 miles recorded and I was confident that there was no mechanical issues so I've no complaints about some thing that I couldn't correctly adjust without the correct equipment as maybe the old chalk mark on the garage door isn't good enough any more.

There are different classes of fail, some are deemed a technical failure and you can drive it, others are deemed dangerous and you should not be driving it.

BTW, My horn had stopped working, I was told to get it fixed as I was given the pass certificate !!!!

You book it in for the MOT then have an anxious wait until the day arrives. You take it to the garage, give it word of encouragement before leaving it there. Then you wait, like a father outside the maternity unit, for the dreaded phonecall.
I went through this with my 24 year old van this week. Yesterday was the big day and the result was "PASS". A bottle of wine was opened last night as I dreamed of another year of freedom. As a special treat for her I'll book her in for some pampering, to get a few rust spots seen to and she'll look like new again (well in my eyes anyway).

like it Sam, that reminds me of John Cleese shouting at his car and hitting it with a branch when it broke down in faulty towers. It’s strange how we get personal about something which is mechanical. But when you rely so much on your vehicle, and you get into situations where if it broke down you would be in bother, it’s understandable.

i dont know the letter of the law , but in rural areas we need our cars to get to work, kids to school,etc . its common practice to use the mot test at 11 months to find out what needs attention , continue to use the car whilst organising repairs and get it fixed and retested before the origional test runsout.
few years ago a friend of mine was quite put out when the mot tester at the local garage (in fact also his father in law) refused to hand over the keys at the end of the test.

i dont know the letter of the law , but in rural areas we need our cars to get to work, kids to school,etc . its common practice to use the mot test at 11 months to find out what needs attention , continue to use the car whilst organising repairs and get it fixed and retested before the origional test runsout.
few years ago a friend of mine was quite put out when the mot tester at the local garage (in fact also his father in law) refused to hand over the keys at the end of the test.

I don’t know the law either ricc, but if you were informed that your vehicle was dangerous to drive, and you continued driving it causing severe injury or death I think the law should and would come down on you like a ton of bricks. Speaking personally I would not drive a vehicle which was deemed to dangerous to drive. That just seems decent, and full of common sense to me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back