Another one to avoid.... Beadnell, Northumberland

We looked to stay there at lunchtime only with a consideration for overnight.
We got warned by a friendly "fellow parker"that the car-park staff were like rottweilers so any slight indiscretion such as not fitting within a bay would likely result in a notice...
Did we stay ?
Having found almost nowhere to overnight or indeed rest up for a day..We exited the county pronto
It seems that Northumberland and Pembroke have guns and now only 1 foot !
We did have 2 spots
No 1 Alnmouth OK but maybe not now
No 2 Near Bamburgh Castle now definitely no
On another trip we did find rural spot in the hills not far from Rothbury.
Parking in Rothbury was fine

Northumberland is fine for parking in the day. Most parking is disc parking. If you haven't already got a disc then they can be purchased for £1

If they are not welcoming why spend money there? let them have what they wished for!
A friend was on the phone this morning, as he was heading into work this morning in Oban he noticed that the doctors surgery was full of motorhomes, not sure how that one will go down.

Beadnell is a tiny place. As for local businesses, the shop is mostly for supplying locals, including those holidaying in the various types of self-catering establishments. Dunno about the cafe and pub, but there is also a holiday caravan park there (all statics, privately owned, no tourers).

A lot of the properties in Beadnell are given over to holiday accommodation, either B&B, holiday cottages or the caravan park.

In fact, from a nimby point of view I reckon the residents wouldn't be bothered if motorhomes were kept away.
It's not a place that has ever really attracted me. There are far better places to visit in Northumberland, imo.

Last edited:
Why aye, pet lamb (y) ;)

Although up in Northumberland it's more usual to roll your rrrrrsss 🤣 😂 :cool:

The influx of southerners over the years could mean there's more of an 'up yer rrrrsss' atmosphere nowadays, rather than just rolling them :oops::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Beadnell is a tiny place. As for local businesses, the shop is mostly for supplying locals, including those holidaying in the various types of self-catering establishments. Dunno about the cafe and pub, but there is also a holiday caravan park there (all statics privately owned, no tourers).

A lot of the properties in Beadnell are given over to holiday accommodation, either B&B, holiday cottages or the caravan park.

In fact, from a nimby point of view I reckon the residents wouldn't be bothered if motorhomes were kept away.
It's not a place that has ever really attracted me. There are far better places to visit in Northumberland, imo.

He also seems to be involved in Alnmouth and Bamburgh.

There is a CCC site at Beadnell which I believe is fully booked for the forseable. There is also a farm which has big THSs in normal years. The fish and chip shop will be missing all their custom.

He also seems to be involved in Alnmouth and Bamburgh.

That's because he's a County Councillor for Northumberland and he's a member of the North Northumberland and Strategic Planning Committee.

Also, since April this year, he has been appointed as a director of 'Advance Northumberland'.

"Advance Northumberland is a unique economic regeneration company, newly established by Northumberland County Council with a clear remit to improve prosperity, quality of life and increase business activity throughout the communities of Northumberland. Wholly owned by Northumberland County Council and with a board made up of public and private sectors, Advance Northumberland is the Council’s primary regeneration delivery vehicle. It employs a wide range of investment, development and regeneration capabilities to shape places and promote economic growth and prosperity in Northumberland."

So I would imagine he will be listening to locals about what they want or don't want.
Envy him not one bit! ;)

Mind you, there's a fair whack of nimbyism lurking in Northumberland, economics aside.
It's a very conservative county, dontcha know ;) :)

I have always managed to park overnight along the coast up there. Will be over a year ago now so they could have put new signage up but I have stopped along Druridge bay and above

There are still various spots all around, you just have to be CCC - canny, careful and considerate.
Same as for anywhere.
If you remember I woke to a sea view first morning of the last Druridge meet as I didn’t know the gate was unlocked whe we arrived early hours 👍

Make good business sense to invest in Druridge Bay. Similar to what Fife Council have done and achieved at Lochore Meadows. https://www.lochoremeadows.org.uk/overnight-stays/

Mind you, if he is council employed, he won’t have much business sense.

Not necessarily in his case.
'Councillors' are not actually 'employed' by the council, so he doesn't fall into that category, although I know exactly what you mean! 😂

His profile on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/guy-renner-thompson-19422745/

Think he's a farmer, amongst other things, including a community-based charity that supports older people.
I'd say it's hard to judge someone entirely just from one newspaper article.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back