Angus POIs overnight stays banned.

Waiting and parking (238 to 252)​

3. Parking at night (248 to 252)​

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

• at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads,MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)

Waiting and parking (238 to 252)​

3. Parking at night (248 to 252)​

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

• at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads,MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)

May be one of the few on here to get done for one of the above offences . It was nearly 50 years ago but I thought it was for being on wrong side of the road without a parking light ?
Technically an offence but wasn't convinced the police had to come to my house at 4am to charge me!

Before I bought my first motorhome a long while back I told my neighbours and showed them where I was planning to park it beside my garage. I asked them if they would mind. Neither of them objected but if they had I would not have parked the van there. I still occasionally check with the neighbours (same ones after all this time) that it’s still ok with them. Again if either of them objected I would move the van somewhere less convenient for me.
I reckon that if a neighbour has to put a sign up rather than talking to you things have already got to a pretty sorry state.

Thank you for that reply. I did exactly the same when I replaced my stolen motorhome a couple of years ago. Checked with the neighbours first. But the question really was, if a neighbour posted a notice forbidding motorhomes, say within 25 metres of this notice, would you feel obliged to obey the notice. Not in response to a friendly approach from a neighbour but to an illegally posted unenforceable requirement.

Do you remember the story of the yellow car in Bibury? The story was that locals, in an especially pretty English village, objected to the presence of a yellow car parked outside the owner's house. Spoiled the view. Their only objection was that it was yellow and therefore an eyesore.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-yellow-cars-descend-picturesque-10139179

Don't know why I've posted that really. It sort of supports the viewpoint that we should obey all notices whether legal or not.

Police Scotland requested years ago that all no overnight parking signs should be removed, as these signs themselves are actually illegal, and they cannot be enforced in any way. Here’s a BBC article about highland council who agreed to do so in 2012. Highland Council to remove 'no overnight parking' signs http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19672972

To my way of thinking these signs are not only illegal but show a degree of laziness and ignorance. If these people have faith in what they think is correct why not apply for a TRA under the road traffic act of 1984. I reckon it’s because they know fine well their request would fail.

Let’s be clear here other than the fact that someone does not want us to park there, they have no legal standing whatsoever. Personally I tend to move on, because my wife feels insecure in such situations. But if I was alone I would not hesitate to remain. Some of the signage I have seen is laughable. In Calendar they put up signs stating, NO OVERNIGHT SLEEPING, so if you wish to remain there that’s fine just don’t go to sleep;)

These signs are illegal, and should be removed.
Another point what about barriers.
I have seen councils putting up barriers with no mention of a TRA.
Surely that’s even worse than the no overnight parking signs.

Last edited:
Police Scotland requested years ago that all no overnight parking signs should be removed, as these signs themselves are actually illegal, and they cannot be enforced in any way. Here’s a BBC article about highland council who agreed to do so in 2012. Highland Council to remove 'no overnight parking' signs http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19672972

To my way of thinking these signs are not only illegal but show a degree of laziness and ignorance. If these people have faith in what they think is correct why not apply for a TRA under the road traffic act of 1984. I reckon it’s because they know fine well their request would fail.

Let’s be clear here other than the fact that someone does not want us to park there, they have no legal standing whatsoever. Personally I tend to move on, because my wife feels insecure in such situations. But if I was alone I would not hesitate to remain. Some of the signage I have seen is laughable. In Calendar they put up signs stating, NO OVERNIGHT SLEEPING, so if you wish to remain there that’s fine just don’t go to sleep;)

These signs are illegal, and should be removed.
Another point what about barriers.
I have seen councils putting up barriers with no mention of a TRA.
Surely that’s even worse than the no overnight parking signs.
It’s a TRO and Callendar has two Ls. 😉

‘Managing’ to my mind would be doing what Fyfe, Argyll and Bute and Highlands have started doing…designating a limited number of motorhome spaces in each car park, and making a reasonable charge to help maintenance and operation of these remote car parks, to fund CDPs in the county, and enable communities to see us as an asset rather than a nuisance…and to provide a few bins.

And yes, with few exceptions I have never seen mess left by Self-Contained motorhomes, although there have been a few egregious examples by hirers.

‘Managing’ to my mind would be doing what Fyfe, Argyll and Bute and Highlands have started doing…designating a limited number of motorhome spaces in each car park, and making a reasonable charge to help maintenance and operation of these remote car parks, to fund CDPs in the county, and enable communities to see us as an asset rather than a nuisance…and to provide a few bins.

And yes, with few exceptions I have never seen mess left by Self-Contained motorhomes, although there have been a few egregious examples by hirers.

Yes I do agree but the problem is due to the inaction or even worse by other regions, by trying to manage the situation effectively, they make themselves a target for us. As I stated on the Elie thread which I started what happened was word got round that Fife had opened up 7 spots for overnight use. On one night there were over 30 vans at Elie.
If what was being done in Fife, Argyll and Bute, and Highland was the norm then this could have been avoided. Unfortunately some regions see management in terms of erecting barriers, and putting up signs. All they are doing is moving what they wrongly perceive as a problem elsewhere, and that’s what helped create the problems at Elie recently.

The problem at Elie was caused by irresponsible motor home owners not the council. If there’s 7 spaces and 30 vans that means 23 irresponsible motor home owners. Thats the majority spoiling it for the minority and makes us look lunch a bunch of freeloaders

Yes, it was with some trepidation I went to Elie recently, but I’m glad to say the numbers were fine. Although with summer approaching I wonder if that will remain so. Personally I would like to see places like Elie introducing a charge. I would be happy to pay a fiver or tenner for a place by the sea. A charge of £20 for a Moho outside a Moho space at night, and for a car in a Moho space at any time would make a good deterrent and be a nice little earner for the Fyfe Coast Trust who need the money.

What happens at the moment all too easily is that mohos arriving earlier find all the Moho spaces full of cars, park up hoping space will come clear later, go off for a walk and come back to find later arrivals have grabbed the spaces vacated by the cars, forcing on them the decision to stay and offend, or go elsewhere at a time when they know elsewhere will also be full.

Yes, it was with some trepidation I went to Elie recently, but I’m glad to say the numbers were fine. Although with summer approaching I wonder if that will remain so. Personally I would like to see places like Elie introducing a charge. I would be happy to pay a fiver or tenner for a place by the sea. A charge of £20 for a Moho outside a Moho space at night, and for a car in a Moho space at any time would make a good deterrent and be a nice little earner for the Fyfe Coast Trust who need the money.

What happens at the moment all too easily is that mohos arriving earlier find all the Moho spaces full of cars, park up hoping space will come clear later, go off for a walk and come back to find later arrivals have grabbed the spaces vacated by the cars, forcing on them the decision to stay and offend, or go elsewhere at a time when they know elsewhere will also be full.
I get your point regarding the cars parking in the spaces provided.
But any vehicle can park in these spaces from 0700 to 2000hrs.
After 2000hrs you are supposed to park only in one of the seven places provided. There is nothing stopping you from parking anywhere within the carpark from 0700 till 2000hrs and then moving into a vacant designated spot.
I agree however it would have been better if Fife Coast Trust had designated these spaces as Moho only.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back