Alternator Issue

This is whats on my bus.
iveco alt.png

I'll own up to having only just read the 'builder thread.
On the basis of the work done in changing to 24v by a respected site member and the fact that leisure battery is charged from the alternator using a new VSR and cabling I'd be looking at the alternator.
There's no mention of it in Wildebus' report - but they can get tired with time especially if you give them a lot more work to do.

The weather finally calmed down a bit today so I flipped the cab up and had a look at the alternator,turns out it's only 35 amp so after talking to a sparky just down the road he confirmed my suspicion that it's not really up to the job. I'm parked near John O'Groats so I'll stick here until I can get a new one sorted out and delivered,found a cheap site for only £8.50 per night including electric so for that money I might stick here for a week anyway.

The weather finally calmed down a bit today so I flipped the cab up and had a look at the alternator,turns out it's only 35 amp so after talking to a sparky just down the road he confirmed my suspicion that it's not really up to the job. I'm parked near John O'Groats so I'll stick here until I can get a new one sorted out and delivered,found a cheap site for only £8.50 per night including electric so for that money I might stick here for a week anyway.
Does your alternator supply 24 volts ? (I don't know about your truck)
If it does output 24 volts then double the voltage and half the current would mean that 35 amps would equal 70 amps if that was at 12 volts ;)

Does your alternator supply 24 volts ? (I don't know about your truck)
If it does output 24 volts then double the voltage and half the current would mean that 35 amps would equal 70 amps if that was at 12 volts ;)

Yes it is 24v,which was ample when I had the 12v setup but clearly changing leisure batteries to 24v has shown up the weakness of the alternator to supply 2 battery banks and to add in a small loss running to the lbs at the back of the truck. I think I'll just go for the biggest alt I can find which seems to be 80 amps as far as I can find.

I reckon that you'll be getting an easy, reasonably cheap fix.
At least you're comfortable and have the time.

As a matter of interest what site are you on?

Last edited:
I reckon that you'll be getting an easy, reasonably cheap fix.
At least you're comfortable and have the time.

As a matter of interest what site are you on?

It's called Stroma View,fairly basic but everything you need,great views out over the islands.

we called there a few years ago the toilets were disgusting and when I saw the mains hook up we drove off even though I had paid for the night. I have a photo somewhere I will see if I can find it. The hook up point was central to the grass and was open to the weather facing the sea.
CaravanBollard.jpg

Alf

It's called Stroma View,fairly basic but everything you need,great views out over the islands.

Last edited by a moderator:
we called there a few years ago the toilets were disgusting and when I saw the mains hook up we drove off even though I had paid for the night. I have a photo somewhere I will see if I can find it.
Alf

They've got four hook ups that look like the standard ones everywhere, toilets aren't anything special but they don't seem dirty,they may have upped their game since you were there.
I'm certainly not complaining at that price☺

we called there a few years ago the toilets were disgusting and when I saw the mains hook up we drove off even though I had paid for the night. I have a photo somewhere I will see if I can find it. The hook up point was central to the grass and was open to the weather facing the sea.View attachment 75094
Alf

This is what I'm hooked up to now...

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_104505.jpg
    IMG_20191213_104505.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 104
@Asterix
I looked them up on web and got the impression that their 2 person charge is £17 per night.
Is that right?

I did complain at the time of the unsafe hook up-bollard with Door and no lids on all the switch gear within the bollard.

Alf

I believe they've been here for 20 years so must be the same ones.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back