Alternative to sleeping bag.

It's OK-ish on a forum (batts???? :p ) but if its a website advertising your business then its a no no for me. I remember going to the motorhome show at Shepton a few years ago now and there were 2 stall selling MH stuff. Different companies but both of them had spelling mistakes in their banners. Unprofessional.

About 20 years ago we did an extended tour through China, not in the murvi.
Part of the tour was to a silk farm and small family run duvet making business.
We bought 2 duvets complete with zips and use these when on the road travelling.

The silk keeps us warm even when parked high overnight on Alpine passes.
Dezi

Lucky you, I'm envious! Silk is a brilliant material.

I managed to get hold of a 60% silk, 40% cashmere duvet with 100% cotton cover about 4 years ago for what I reckon was a bargain price
Superking size, £80. It is light, very easy to change the covers and is good in both hot and cold weather.

My only regret was not buying one of the doubles they had (£60) for use in the van. They only had 5 of them in stock - 3 superking and 2 doubles. All were sold when I went back to the shop a week later.

Man-made materials for clothing, bedding etc. are totally brilliant for convenience (wash/dry easily, don't crease etc. etc.), but definitely bad for the environment.

Mariesnowgoos said.
"Superking size, £80. It is light, very easy to change the covers and is good in both hot and cold weather."
You are spot on young sir.
We find that undert he silk your body maintains its temperature whether the outside is hot or cold.
I think that for two adult size duvets it cost us around £35.

Dezi

Mariesnowgoos said.
"Superking size, £80. It is light, very easy to change the covers and is good in both hot and cold weather."
You are spot on young sir.
We find that undert he silk your body maintains its temperature whether the outside is hot or cold.
I think that for two adult size duvets it cost us around £35.

Dezi

Bargain, but that's because you were able to actually buy them in China.

A superking duvet with those materials like the one I got for £80 is still a very good price for (rip off!) UK. ;)(y)

Benny Hill had it sorted with bed warmers.
benny hill.png

Snugpak stuff is pretty good quality. I have an old Snugpak down sleeping bag that’s really lightweight and not much of it but it keeps you really warm.

I have two army ones. Lightweight summer one and waxed cotton and down winter bag.

I have a modern Bivvi bag which is a great bit of kit for sleeping outdoors with a suitable sleeping bag. But I do love the army ones.

I also have a Bothy bag which can also be very handy. I now keep it with me on the Enfield as it packs down absolutely tiny. Great for a stop and brew up when it's raining.

I used to love the old eiderdowns we had on the beds when I was a kid.
Only realised in later life how lucky we were to have them - think they were inherited?

Next door didn't have eiderdowns, same as a lot of other people I grew up with.
Often just blankets with overcoats on top when the weather was freezing. No central heating or double glazing back then.

You can still buy new ones, but they cost a fortune now - they're not exactly cheap second hand either.

Only realised in later life how lucky we were to have them - think they were inherited?

Often just blankets with overcoats on top when the weather was freezing. No central heating or double glazing back then.

You can still buy new ones, but they cost a fortune now - they're not exactly cheap second hand either.
I wonder if what you are calling an eiderdown is the same as what we called a "featherbed" in Germany. Typical in the 60's when most of the UK were using just blankets like you describe.
I remember the ones we had were very warm but also incredibly heavy! better than Blankets for sure, but I do prefer the modern Duvet :)

Reactions: Alf

I mentioneda few years back that one of my earliest memories was 1947 queueing outside the WVS.
with Gran . It was the winter of 1947, one of the worst on record. No coal because the miners strike and
we were hoping to gets a couple of blankets .for our beds. Plimsoles, short trousers and six inches of snow.
Temperatures around -6 . I was bloody freezing.
We were given two thick army greatcoats , German, and Gran was one happy lady.

I will now go and fetch my violin for a little sympathetic music.

Dezi

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back