Almost a freeloader!

barryd

Currently touring the southwest and been out three and a half weeks now. We came down through the Cotswolds, Somerset and the west Dorset coast and on to Devon and now right down into deepest western Cornwall. I've not even bothered to look for wild spots as I decided to just use the CL network and we seldom stay less than three nights anywhere unless it's a transit stop. It's become a bit of a theme and a mission to seek out the most basic and remote CL sites. :D not to be tight (although I kind of have a mental block at paying anything more than twenty quid for a stopover) but because it seems they suit our needs and amazingly are way less popular than the more expensive CLs at £20+ a night.

They are getting harder to find but we have found some absolute crackers. The one near Lyme Regis was fabulous and we stayed six nights at £7 a night. The CL near Bath was terrific and the princely sum of £5 (four nights) and we spent a week near Salcombe and Kingsbridge for £7 a night.

Now we are in this lovely peaceful spot in West Cornwall. A fiver a night!!! :D so they are still out there but sadly they take some finding. I hope CL sites don't all go the way many of them have with hookups, showers and manicured grass. Give me a rough old field any day! Camping how it used to be (just in a luxury motorhome with all mod cons) 🤣

Well done Barry I’m heading that way next week. I’ll need to pick your nut and get some idea’s from you.

Ha ha our definition of freeloader differs a bit. What you have been finding is what I would use normally if I needed a site. My normal stops are in fact free, it’s why I have a motorhome and not a caravan 👍

My recent 7 week tour of Scotland cost me a total of £17 and at that the £7 was to empty a cassette that I could have left but there was no other way to give back at Falls of Shin where I got water, parkup and rubbish disposal.

I am usually off out on my own out in the country though, don’t want populated places until I need food/fuel etc.

Keep up the good work though Barry 😁👍

Ha ha our definition of freeloader differs a bit. What you have been finding is what I would use normally if I needed a site. My normal stops are in fact free, it’s why I have a motorhome and not a caravan 👍

My recent 7 week tour of Scotland cost me a total of £17 and at that the £7 was to empty a cassette that I could have left but there was no other way to give back at Falls of Shin where I got water, parkup and rubbish disposal.

I am usually off out on my own out in the country though, don’t want populated places until I need food/fuel etc.

Keep up the good work though Barry 😁👍

Once we head up to the Scottish isles for the second leg of this trip we will wild camp all the way. It just seems pointless here. I'm sure there is the odd half decent wild spot in the southwest but probably not where we would want to be and probably not where I would want to leave the van for several days.

Had to laugh at Newquay the other day. Out towards the point that looks over the bay there was a huge line of about ten to fifteen vans most of which looked like self builds all looking like they were there for the summer. Defying the no motorhomes rules of course. I did wonder how they were getting away with it.

My sat nav pings and announces any POI wild spots as we pass them but so far I've not seen a single one I would want to stop for lunch in let alone overnight.

Currently touring the southwest and been out three and a half weeks now. We came down through the Cotswolds, Somerset and the west Dorset coast and on to Devon and now right down into deepest western Cornwall. I've not even bothered to look for wild spots as I decided to just use the CL network and we seldom stay less than three nights anywhere unless it's a transit stop. It's become a bit of a theme and a mission to seek out the most basic and remote CL sites. :D not to be tight (although I kind of have a mental block at paying anything more than twenty quid for a stopover) but because it seems they suit our needs and amazingly are way less popular than the more expensive CLs at £20+ a night.

They are getting harder to find but we have found some absolute crackers. The one near Lyme Regis was fabulous and we stayed six nights at £7 a night. The CL near Bath was terrific and the princely sum of £5 (four nights) and we spent a week near Salcombe and Kingsbridge for £7 a night.

Now we are in this lovely peaceful spot in West Cornwall. A fiver a night!!! :D so they are still out there but sadly they take some finding. I hope CL sites don't all go the way many of them have with hookups, showers and manicured grass. Give me a rough old field any day! Camping how it used to be (just in a luxury motorhome with all mod cons) 🤣

Could you tell me where the site for a fiver is in West Cornwall please.
There is a great cl near St Just and Sennen, about a tenner, a huge field with views of the Scillies....

Could you tell me where the site for a fiver is in West Cornwall please.
There is a great cl near St Just and Sennen, about a tenner, a huge field with views of the Scillies....

It's this one if the link works. Roads are ok but the last half mile from St Erth is so narrow and twisty I had to brasso a few scratches out of the windows. Loads of them are like that though down here although I think the one in West Dorset was the worst but also the best CL.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the weather now as there's been a fair bit of rain and more forecast. The next two CLs we have booked are also on grass. Then again. Rural so I suppose someone with a tractor won't be far away. :D

If you come to this one only approach from the North at Erth.

Ideally you need secondary transport here as you won't be wanting to move the van everyday unless it's a small one.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markerMobile.php?id=13859

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back