Alarm, Kill Switch and grinder.

Toffeecat

Hi all. Got the Adria out for a drive to warm up and charge the battery. Parked up for a bit and the damm alarm kept going off. No matter what sensor i cleaned or reset every time i set it after a bit it goes off. Theres nothing loose in the motorhome. Any ideas whats up? Im taking it to a local auto electrician in Bishop Auckland to have a look as im rubbish with electrics, fine mechanically but electrics is just plain weird. Next, a kill switch. I know a few people have fitted one to shut of the fuel pump or kill the ignition being seperate from the fitted immobilisor to stop tea leaves from nicking our pride and joy. Im sure the auto electrician can sort it but i wondered how any of you guys out there in wild land did yours? what switches did you use and where can i buy one. And finally, i dont suppose anyone lives in Durham and has a grinder bolt cutter as the damm lock on the bike on the motorhome has seized up and i need to cut it off and ive never met any fellow wild campers. im also to tight to buy one :LOL::LOL:

Hi all. Got the Adria out for a drive to warm up and charge the battery. Parked up for a bit and the damm alarm kept going off. No matter what sensor i cleaned or reset every time i set it after a bit it goes off. Theres nothing loose in the motorhome. Any ideas whats up? Im taking it to a local auto electrician in Bishop Auckland to have a look as im rubbish with electrics, fine mechanically but electrics is just plain weird. Next, a kill switch. I know a few people have fitted one to shut of the fuel pump or kill the ignition being seperate from the fitted immobilisor to stop tea leaves from nicking our pride and joy. Im sure the auto electrician can sort it but i wondered how any of you guys out there in wild land did yours? what switches did you use and where can i buy one. And finally, i dont suppose anyone lives in Durham and has a grinder bolt cutter as the damm lock on the bike on the motorhome has seized up and i need to cut it off and ive never met any fellow wild campers. im also to tight to buy one :LOL::LOL:
No idea what's up with the alarm; if you said what type, someone might be able to help with diagnosis.

Great, theres a new Aldi in Crook. im off for my beer and a grinder. Thats saved me a good few £££. Im not sure who made the alarm, it came factory fitted with the motorhome.

Sounds like today is not a good day. Got a fuel cut off that doesn’t drain battery when off ... no idea of any details as we are technical numpties and paid someone to do it! Sorry.

There are various youtube videos that could help you. I fitted the kill switch (a simple rocker switch or a key switch) to the feed wire of the fuel pump relay. First find the fuel pump relay and using a meter or simple 12 volt tester, identify the feed wire by switching the ignition on and off. Cut the wire, at least 2 inches from the relay to give you some room and insert the switch making sure it is hidden from view. A garage should do it in under an hour if you are not confident in doing it yourself. I also have a small £50 tracker connected to a hidden 3rd battery. Well worth the money and extra peace of mind.

Make sure you buy protection specks before using a grinder,i went for a MRI scan this week and first thing they ask was had i used a grinder within the last 5 years, yes so before MRI i had to have eyes exray to make sure no embedded steel :( all was ok.

WD the lock and tap it with a hammer next day,or pipe freeze and belt shackle with cole chisel and beating stick,feck it just buy the grinder.

Last edited:
Make sure you buy protection specks before using a grinder,i went for a MRI scan this week and first thing they ask was had i used a grinder within the last 5 years, yes so before MRI i had to have eyes exray to make sure no embedded steel :( all was ok.
Oogh microwave eyeball nasty

Im not sure who made the alarm, it came factory fitted with the motorhome.
I would be very surprised that it was factory fit, as most alarm systems are either dealer fit, or fitted by a 3rd party.
Have you got any booklets at all, or a pic of the remote?

The Ducato fiat key opens the cab door locks and sets the immobilisor and alarm just like my car. The second key opens the hab doors and garage. But how did the fiat immodilisor then get extended to the sensors on the hab doors and garage if the original is a factory fir like my car. Anyway, the top auto electrician ive used will sort it on Friday.

Most of the time, no motorhome is supplied with a "Factory Fit" alarm system, which is normally install at the dealer either by them, or a 3rd party acting for them.
We are constantly asked about key differences between our Thatcham Approved Strikeback and Growler systems, compared to a "dealer-fit" system. One of the biggest is the use of "Wireless" door Contacts and "Plug-and-Play" Category 2-1 alarm systems.

So we took these questions straight to the "Horses Mouth", the Motor Industry Repair research Centre (M.I.R.R.C) owned by the Association of British Insurers, known as Thatcham: https://www.thatcham.org/about/.

Our questions were simple:
1. Are Wireless sensors to Doors/Windows Thatcham approved?
2. Is a Plug and Play system using the Diagnostic OBD port acceptable to use for connecting an alarm system?

Well the answer we received back was a clear No, so if your alarm system is a "Plug-n-Play" and/or using wireless door contacts, it won't be Thatcham Approved. You must make sure that it is hard-wired including the Door and Locker contacts.

Attachments

• OBD Plug and Play alarm.JPG
    OBD Plug and Play alarm.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 125

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back