Air suspension, what pressure?

Admin

Administrator
Air suspension, what pressure?

I have been asked what pressure should someone put in their rear air assist bags. Can I ask those people who have it what pressure they are using and what weight their vehicle is?

Thanks.View attachment 79112

Last edited:
Mine is rated 3500, uprated now to 4100. I tend to use around 3 bar. It doesn’t wallow, never has, but it looks right on the road.

Ours generally runs at 3300, for normal use its around 3 bar but increased to 4-5 bar if very windy or on motorway .....

Mines a van conversion I run at 2 bar otherwise I find it’s a bit harsh it’s a bit trial and error

My vans on the 5 tonne mark tag axil I run about 3 depending on the load was smooth without the air but find it more stable On air.

Our van is 3500kg up rated to 3850 .
Haveing 240 kg of that up grade add to rear axe .
Which was 2000kg now 2240 kg.
Air bags set 4 bar Perfic ride good height lift .
All done by sv tech and AS Suspension.

Mine is 4 tonnes and I run 2.5bar back axle is rated just over 2.4 tonnes

4,100kg and i run at 4 bar.

It has a garage at the rear and a 2.4m overhang so the rear axle runs at very close to the 2,500kg max.

I find that 4 bar helps immensely with handling and keeps it sat nice and level even when fully loaded

Mine is air suspension, not just air assist. It has an automatic compressor, an air tank and valves. It self-adjusts the height. I don't know what pressure it needs to do that.

The compressor failed, so I had to use a tyre compressor to puff it up. That only goes to 100psi, It was enough pressure to drive with, but nothing like as high as it is normal.

The replacement compressor (which claims to have a 100% duty cycle at 100psi, 50% at 200psi) has fixed the ride height, but I still don't know what pressure it uses. Good bit more than 100psi, that's for certain.

What type of rear suspension do users have? Leaf spring or torsion bar trailing arm?

And what is the van gross vehicle weight including everything fully loaded, the manufactures maximum rear axle weight, and the upgraded axle weight after air assist installation?

Are bikes or scooters carried on the back?

This could all make a difference in the pressure required to provide the ride height and comfort that air assist suspension provides.

Rightly or wrongly, surely just to quote pressures without the rest of the information is meaningless?

Discuss......

'till it looks about right, 20 - 30 PSI with Scooter in the Garage.
Only the first 25 PSI increases the height, after that it just makes the ride harder.

On a previous van up to 40PSI would keep lifting the back end. Raise it too much and you'll need your levelers more

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back