Advice on must see things/places in Bergen

suneye

Anyone been to Bergen and have recommendations for must see or do things in Bergen. We just have 2 1/2 days so we need to stay in and around the city.

We lived in Bergen from 1982 to 1988 but haven’t been back since then so some / all of my suggestions could well be out of date! However my suggestions would be (subject to the caveat above):

- take the funicular from the harbour to the top of Mount Floyen for superb views
- visit Griegs House and Grieghallen
- if the tall ship Statsraad Lemkuul still does trips for punters take a trip
- visit Bergen fish market on the harbour, buy a huge bag of shrimps (reker) and sit on the harbour wall eating shrimps and chucking husks into the water!
- the “Norway in a Nutshell” trip (day trip from Bergen)
- wander around the harbour area and old town (Bryggen)

You will love Bergen but be prepared for rain!

Good luck and enjoy one of my favourite towns.

Tony

We lived in Bergen from 1982 to 1988 but haven’t been back since then so some / all of my suggestions could well be out of date! However my suggestions would be (subject to the caveat above):

- take the funicular from the harbour to the top of Mount Floyen for superb views
- visit Griegs House and Grieghallen
- if the tall ship Statsraad Lemkuul still does trips for punters take a trip
- visit Bergen fish market on the harbour, buy a huge bag of shrimps (reker) and sit on the harbour wall eating shrimps and chucking husks into the water!
- the “Norway in a Nutshell” trip (day trip from Bergen)
- wander around the harbour area and old town (Bryggen)

You will love Bergen but be prepared for rain!

Good luck and enjoy one of my favourite towns.

Tony
Wow! Brilliant thanks

"You will love Bergen but be prepared for rain!"

And the expensive beer.

Fish market at harbour a 'Yes' - go late after stalls are shutting on a Sat as there are bargains to be had.

If you are there on a Sun the bar upstairs overlooking the harbour at the town end has(d) a Jazz session at lunchtime -(was) about £5 to get in but drinks not so expensive. One soloist was Surgeon at hospital Great gig and view.

Good little city.

Geoff

Cable car

Nice cable car up a small hill overlooking Bergen maybe walk down.
No it is the "Funny peculiar" as posted by Tonybvi

I you had more time a little drive westward to the islands (all linked by bridges)

Last edited:
"You will love Bergen but be prepared for rain!"

And the expensive beer.

Things may well have changed since we lived there but at that time alcohol and food was very expensive if an element of service was involved (ie eating or drinking out). However food and beer bought in supermarkets for home consumption was really no more expensive than back home. Wine and spirits which had to be bought in the “vinmonopol” (government controlled off licences) was expensive though.
There were some weird laws there though. We kept a boat with a mooring in the commune adjacent to Bergen and if you went to a supermarket for a crate of beer on a sunny weekend to drink while holidaying on the boat we were told that although we could buy a bottle each there and then, if we wanted a crate we had to order a week in advance!! Of course it would be peeing down the next weekend so no boating. Each commune had different regulations.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back