ADAC Again!

12 months or so ago they said they would honour all existing plus policies regardless of home address. Only new policies to get a plus account would need a address in Germany as part of the policy covers the German scrappage scheme.
I have not looked at the small print since , though from posts on here it looks to have changed.
I looked at going with them a few years ago but decided to keep my "add on" EU breakdown cover with Comfort Insurance as I cant find a better one for £65 a year.

12 months or so ago they said they would honour all existing plus policies regardless of home address. Only new policies to get a plus account would need a address in Germany as part of the policy covers the German scrappage scheme.
I have not looked at the small print since , though from posts on here it looks to have changed.
I looked at going with them a few years ago but decided to keep my "add on" EU breakdown cover with Comfort Insurance as I cant find a better one for £65 a year.
thanks .ok.pj.

My renewal is due in June 2020, therefore I have not had to renew yet.
The letter I received states my "plus benefits" will expire after that renewal has elapsed (June 2021).
I will be renewing for a number of reasons:
1. The cover for the price can't be matched elsewhere.
2. The cover is valid in the UK throughout that membership period & it may be possible to travel in Europe in Spring next year.
3. I suspect the long notice period before withdrawal of the benefit is because ADAC have been pressured by external influences to withdraw the service it offers to non-German residents - if so there may be push-back & the decision could be reversed (optimistic but who knows?).

Note that there were many years of false reports of the membership not being valid for UK residents before the 'continuous membership' rule was applied last year.
During the 'continuous membership' rule period, ADAC offered a fuel voucher incentive to encourage us to sign up for a continuous payment authority; essentially to prevent us inadvertently losing membership.
The letter also states "If your main place of residence is in Germany and does not correspond to the address given above, please provide us with the address of your main place of residence in Germany. " - is that a suggestion of a way to bypass the new rule? Maybe a German P.O. Box would suffice?
ADAC seem happy to provide us with service; it is their competition that do not like it.

I can confirm part of point three. Received my letter cancelling my plus benefits today and remembered an AA chap who rescued me last year. He was part of a team lobbying ADAC to withdraw cover from the UK, they couldn't match the ADAC prices so so did something about it. Yey to the free market....

I can confirm part of point three. Received my letter cancelling my plus benefits today and remembered an AA chap who rescued me last year. He was part of a team lobbying ADAC to withdraw cover from the UK, they couldn't match the ADAC prices so so did something about it. Yey to the free market....
As some one has previously posted, I don't think this is a UK specific problem, ADAC have withdrawn this cover from other European countries.I don't understand how they could be lobbied to withdraw if they didn't want to.When I was a member some years ago the AA were subcontracted to ADAC if you broke down in UK.

I’m still flogging the ADAC thing ... just in case! I’ve just used the above email but it was returned. I’ve had another renewal form.
You are wasting your time Carol, ADAC took my money in August even though I had cancelled, I contacted Ann Katrin and told her if they would cover me outside Germany then I would still like to be a member but if not it was no use to me.
She replied saying that they could not cover anyone outside of the Country unless they had a Germany address, she apologised and said it was out of their control and refunded me

You are wasting your time Carol, ADAC took my money in August even though I had cancelled, I contacted Ann Katrin and told her if they would cover me outside Germany then I would still like to be a member but if not it was no use to me.
She replied saying that they could not cover anyone outside of the Country unless they had a Germany address, she apologised and said it was out of their control and refunded me
Thanks Tezza - wonder who all the ADAC users are going to? Hope you’re both well xx

We have a policy which combines the breakdown and insurance through AIB. As going for longer next trip, need to ensure we are covered for five months. The insurance is 270 days ( in any one year) but breakdown was less. Wasn't worried as the new van was covered for first twelve months anyway! ADAC wouldn't renew ours a couple of years ago as we had ( unfortunately) two breakdowns in one year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back