Aaaaargh 😖

Blue yonder

Free Member
Woke up this morning to yet another online article about "dirty campers". I know I shouldn't take it personally and it's only click bait but it's making me mad. Even my non-camping friends are starting to become aware of the negative articles in the press and questions are being asked about my lifestyle choice and how I deal with my waste.
Of course as a "clean camper" I am only too happy to explain the ease of waste management in a van. But its still annoying that doubts about the way we travel are being raised in the general consciousness.
Is there any way to fight back against the negative press or do we just have to sit back and take it on the chin.
I've posted a link to the article here but as it's behind a paywall it may be difficult to read. I'm sure we all know what bile it is regurgitating by now anyway.

Unfortunately I see articles like this as a bit of a death knell for wildcamping. More and more campsites will spring up as well as 'Aires' and eventually I can foresee wildcamping being banned altogether and visitors being herded into them.

Scotland has always been a Mecca for wildcamping, but sadly I think this is coming to an end. Campaigning for more of these Aires in my view is a shot in the foot.

Don't get me wrong, I would use them as a stopover for a night and to dispose of waste, but if it means being the only option, then it's not for me.

Unfortunately I see articles like this as a bit of a death knell for wildcamping. More and more campsites will spring up as well as 'Aires' and eventually I can foresee wildcamping being banned altogether and visitors being herded into them.

Scotland has always been a Mecca for wildcamping, but sadly I think this is coming to an end. Campaigning for more of these Aires in my view is a shot in the foot.

Don't get me wrong, I would use them as a stopover for a night and to dispose of waste, but if it means being the only option, then it's not for me.
I understand what you are getting at Rob but when I travel in France I don't , slavishly , stay in Aires . Bit of a mixture , Aires , occasionally campsites , and wild camping . Probably 50/50 Aires and wilding (this , for me , includes town squares etc)
Ideally this is how I'd like things to be here , in Scotland and UK
Though I'm not sure if I'll still be around by then !

I understand what you are getting at Rob but when I travel in France I don't , slavishly , stay in Aires . Bit of a mixture , Aires , occasionally campsites , and wild camping . Probably 50/50 Aires and wilding (this , for me , includes town squares etc)
Ideally this is how I'd like things to be here , in Scotland and UK
Though I'm not sure if I'll still be around by then !

I pretty much do the same, and pub stops of course.

I hope I'm wrong but the signs are there (literally!).

This is one of the reasons why I like camping in my car, generally speaking I'm a lot more stealthy although I wish stealthiness wasn't needed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back