A special trip back to Doncaster

channa

I was pleasantly surprised earlier when a a4 letter landed on the doormat.. Michelle in her wisdom has paid for my name to be etched below the wings of xh558 what was the last flying Vulcan Whilst no longer airworthy it is planned she will stretch her legs on runway rolls. There is a bit of a ceremony apparently scheduled for the summer but we will need to see what happens with the virus ....it will be quite an emotive day, I spent a lot of time at RAF finningley...to see and hear four RollsRoyce Olympus engines again and hear the unique whine as she spins up is guaranteed to bring about a tear or two and bristles on my neck . As for the present Michelle acted when it looked like the final chapter, I think it is great and thoughtful in her own way contributing to a national icon that continues to bring a lot of people pleasure
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

maingate

That's good Andrew but you should not have gone to your local Pub in Doncaster to celebrate. By the way, which one is you? :giggle:

channa

That's good Andrew but you should not have gone to your local Pub in Doncaster to celebrate. By the way, which one is you? :giggle: Looks like one or two joints I’ve run over the years Jim lol

Fisherman

Andrew was that Vulcan one of the planes that bombed the airport near port Stanley in the falklands in 1982.

channa

Andrew was that Vulcan one of the planes that bombed the airport near port Stanley in the falklands in 1982. No idea of her operational history other than I do believe her final flight or one of them Martin withers was at the controls the same fella who pulled off the raid on port Stanley

wildebus

A very nice commemoration there, Andrew. Andrew was that Vulcan one of the planes that bombed the airport near port Stanley in the falklands in 1982. I don't think it was. BTW, If this kind of thing is of interest, there are some very interesting videos on Youtube, including a 4 part series on the Falklands War and covering "Operation Black Buck"

R0B

As for the present Michelle acted when it looked like the final chapter, I think it is great and thoughtful in her own way contributing to a national icon that continues to bring a lot of people pleasure That'll be you then ;-)

Asterix

I'm not really a plane spotter but saw that at the Bournemouth airshow just before they took it out of service, absolutely mind blowing sound really impressed me,it actually seems to vibrate your insides,very odd feeling.

wildebus

I think it may have been the first time as well in terms of an actual adversary? That operation very nearly failed as well. The first Vulcan failed and had to turn back. And because of the distance, you had tankers refuelling tankers which refuelled another tanker which refuelled the Vulcan - and one of the Tankers had to turn back early as well. But just enough fuel overall for the backup Vulcan to manage the job thankfully

maingate

I saw it at RAF Finningley Airshow when it was allegedly making its farewell. It flew over low, opened its bomb doors and they had a message on them saying 'goodbye'. It did get a reprieve and flew on for a few more years.

channa

I saw it at RAF Finningley Airshow when it was allegedly making its farewell. It flew over low, opened its bomb doors and they had a message on them saying 'goodbye'. It did get a reprieve and flew on for a few more years. Yes Jim was at the same show I think it was 1979 and they mothballed her only for her to return in 1982 the falklands Wildebus I think your right the falklands the only time she flew in anger, she must have scared the Argentines to death most of all,the RAF piulling offwhat the enemy didn’t think was possible. Martin withers was definitely the pilot and has stated the aircraft earmarked became unoperational hence withers and his crew stepped up to the breach ....in the documentary a funny scene re the air to air refuelling where it was explained the pilots shook heads didn’t fully understand it all but went with it anyway Jim I seem to remember the finningley air show was billed as her last scramble and the airfield literally shook and has part of her final...

maingate

The highlight of that Airshow Andrew was the amazing display by the Blue Angels. They made the Red Arrows look amateurs.