A question for the bikers ?

StreetSleeper

A few years ago I was offered a Kawasaki W1, it was in a terrible state; so bad that the hubs were touching the rims due to the fact the spokes had rotted. I declined as I probably could have bought an A7 for the same money.
Going back to 'would the parts be interchangeable' Kawasaki bought the patent off BSA........bad move for BSA as the A65, in my opinion, was not a very good looking bike until they put it in the oil in-frame and Triumph then stole the frame.

Rae

Fazerloz

I think the Kawasaki is just a very good lookee likee and nothing is interchangable, Those and the yam xs650 were not very good sellers back then but both have a good following and fetch good money now.

SimonM

I think the Kawasaki is just a very good lookee likee and nothing is interchangable, Those and the yam xs650 were not very good sellers back then but both have a good following and fetch good money now.
It was only tongue in cheek as no doubt the Kawa was assembled with care and to tolerances of 1/10ths of a mm, and not with a hammer and “this’ll do” 😉

SimonM

I’ve been stripping the Commando, and starting at the front I’ve dismantled the caliper ready for a full rebuild, had the disc skimmed to clean it up, and just now popped out the front wheel bearings to replace them with new sealed ones. Amazingly, they spin nicely and are still full of grease. A shame to throw them out in a way.
3B33CC21-3585-4813-97E3-75C98B475AB8.jpeg
274801B7-9519-465A-9EFA-AF3054630AD0.jpeg
2CF557B6-B76A-4B82-9687-B770FFFDE959.jpeg

StreetSleeper

Nice to see you getting stuck in Simon, how are the isolastics doing, are they shimmed or the adjustable type?

Rae

StreetSleeper

Started collecting bits for my next project. Haven't a clue what it's going to be but now looking for a frame.

DSCN4638.JPG

Rae

StreetSleeper

Had a look around to see what I had in my pile of spares; looks like I'm going to be building a BSA 650 Gold Flash. Now all I have to do is find a set of barrels and some internals........well, actually, quite a lot of the internals........and then we can try and find a frame........etc.

DSCN4661.JPG

Rae

SimonM

Nice to see you getting stuck in Simon, how are the isolastics doing, are they shimmed or the adjustable type?

Rae
Yep, really getting stuck in now. They are stock.

the bike is getting what I’m calling an oily rag restoration for now. It was put away covered with a blanket around 15 years ago if the tax disc is anything to go by. It has done only 10,000 miles since new and is quite well preserved.

however, while it would be nice to clean it, polish it and ride it, I have a number of jobs to do that are not what I’d call restoration. These are safety related, and also to be sensible to a laid up machine

front brake caliper needed an overhaul, I got the disc cleaned up locally then I’ll check the master cylinder as it does feel good. I replaced the front wheel bearings as for £7it was sensible to do so. Next I’ll remove the carbs and stick them in my ultrasonic tank for a good deep clean. Then I’ll remove the tape or covers, check the clearances and drizzle plenty of fresh oil down from the top, I’ll remove the sump plug and see what is inside to come out. I’ll drain the gearbox oil and replace with new, similarly the front forks and primary chaincase.

Then I’ll remove the exhausts for a good clean, while they’re off whip out the back wheel to check the brake linings, oil the chain and reassemble. The fuel tank is off and very clean inside - something suggests to me that it’s had a new tank as it’s so clean. I’ll check the fuel taps while I’m there and do them the same same as the carbs in the cleaner.

then, having forgotten to do the points I’ll check the ignition 🤐 , new plugs,
2A8BDCC0-EEEE-4B16-A463-237D00D10016.jpeg
7DC2928F-DC38-4751-8243-E415DC0EEA99.jpeg
then hopefully I can attempt to start her up.

SimonM

I’d like to get one of these if possible. I’ve created a 5 piece version for now which works and can’t be seen - but if I can get one then so much the better. It’s for normal Lucas bullets.
B596D0BA-4136-4C7F-84A8-4C8608157DA7.jpeg
BED8AE8F-30F5-469C-AC30-2F3E5ED04B32.jpeg

StreetSleeper

It’s for normal Lucas bullets.
Hello Simon,
Normally I try to eliminate those sort of joints, especially round the headlamp shell. I remember rewiring an A10 years ago and I put an earth wire to the bottom yoke and somebody said to me 'Why would you do that when the frame is already earthed?' and I thought about it for some time and the only positive reason (sorry about the pun) would be the ball races would be the earth but I read it somewhere in a book that you should earth the front yoke and those sort of things stick. Another reason that has just come to mind, the bike was a positive earth as it was fitted with a dynamo.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Did I ever show you my mates chopper Rae
Hello Nabs,
Not a question you ask in the toilet.......all jokes aside, lovely piece of kit; A10 swinging arm frame always hard to get the seat right as the bike doesn't have a single tube backbone. If I was going to chop an A10 I would have gone either for the plunger frame or the hard tail and then sawed the original end off and lowered and lengthened a new piece of frame but I have to say it's a lovely job and certainly a bike of it's time.

Rae

SimonM

Hi Rae, the Notrun (new name) is also positive earth and alternator. This lump of a connector is midframe and brings together several different circuits tidily. Every bullet was loose and almost fell out as I was reconnecting using new double connectors. All of the wiring though is very clean with no loose nasty bits, apart from the battery circuit that I have already tidied up. I was lucky that I had in stock a brand new unused battery that amazingly fits perfectly and is a couple of AH larger than stock.

I also had a A10 chop back in the day. Mine was plunger frame, raked and 10 overs, handled horribly. I swopped it for a 500 all alloy preunit TriBSA converted to oil in frame.

SimonM

I’ve been busy in the garage and this time have something to show for it. Before and after, courtesy of my new toy - ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve done both, but just reassembled the one so far.
4EABB1CB-9934-47A0-B7DB-53AE040C51B4.jpeg
057B1A28-1342-4B31-A300-53AC0BC90F69.jpeg

GWAYGWAY

Going to the motorcycle show at the 'Excel' tomorrow, I haven't been to one for many years now so it will be an experience. A friend going, so he asked me for company. £20 for codgers plus an enormous parking charge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)