A question for the bikers ?

SimonM

Yes, it’s this one. UK based company and not the myriad Chinese ones on evilbay. More money but someone english to talk to, which I did at length. He was good, knew his product and wouldn’t allow me to buy one too big, so I settled on the 9 litre version. Best ultrasonic is the company.
D7434503-3C2A-4482-90D5-A0B7FF316E9A.jpeg

saxonborg

Yes, it’s this one. UK based company and not the myriad Chinese ones on evilbay. More money but someone english to talk to, which I did at length. He was good, knew his product and wouldn’t allow me to buy one too big, so I settled on the 9 litre version. Best ultrasonic is the company. View attachment 76523
What fluid is used these days, I think is was Genklene when I worked in a laboratory?

Robmac

Yes, it’s this one. UK based company and not the myriad Chinese ones on evilbay. More money but someone english to talk to, which I did at length. He was good, knew his product and wouldn’t allow me to buy one too big, so I settled on the 9 litre version. Best ultrasonic is the company. View attachment 76523
Thanks for that.

They are actually cheaper than I thought for a professional machine. I can see a small business opportunity locally at the marina where I moor my boat. (there are also several other marinas in the area).
Boat owners are notorious for winterising their boats but forgetting about leaving petrol to go stale in the tanks/carbs and subsequently getting problems in the spring when their boats go back in the water. Same with anybody who owns a lawnmower, chainsaw etc. I've done it myself but get around it by using a fuel additive these days.

I might have a chat with the mechanic at the marina at the weekend (he's a mate of mine and often looking for assistance).

Come to think about it, I could even collar a few motorhomers with generators for a bit of business!

channa

Loved the greavsey Barry Sheena clip the Suzuki katana the bike they are using , spent many an hour drooling over those in the day at Carmella in Doncaster during lunch hours. Collectible in their own right today , pay a healthy premium for one

SimonM

I haven’t needed to do this sort of thing in quite a few years. Thankfully I do have imperial and metric feeler gauges. Yes, they needed doing, both we’re about 8thou and needed to be 6thou.
50CCF43C-2C8A-42DC-A967-369A6F9D75E0.jpeg

StreetSleeper

After leaving the crank in vinegar for the last few days, gave it a quick rub over with a wire brush; I thought it would be interesting to remove the sludge trap screws.

DSCN4664.JPG

As you can see, the previous owners have been very active with the centre punch and a cold chisel.

DSCN4665.JPG

Both screws have been removed, had to drill the middles out and then collapse the remaining thread.

DSCN4666.JPG

I will not make a decision on what crank I'm going to use until I find what barrels are available. My options are: large journal crank, thick flange barrels; small journal crank, thin flange barrels. If I keep the compression down, use an iron head, a small journal crank will be adequate.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Thankfully I do have imperial and metric feeler gauges.
Hello Simon,
So do I. The funny thing is I can no longer see the numbers and so I have to measure the thicknesses just to make sure. When I had my Triumph it was a pure nightmare doing the tappets; I used to cut them down and bend them so that I could get them through the little inspection holes. The Norton ones look very accessible so I would imagine it wouldn't have taken you long.

Rae

SimonM

Hello Simon,
So do I. The funny thing is I can no longer see the numbers and so I have to measure the thicknesses just to make sure. When I had my Triumph it was a pure nightmare doing the tappets; I used to cut them down and bend them so that I could get them through the little inspection holes. The Norton ones look very accessible so I would imagine it wouldn't have taken you long.

Rae
No they were an absolute doddle to do, thankfully I still had the muscle memory to allow me to gauge, twiddle the adjuster and locknut all at the same time. Then a couple of minutes on the buffing wheel and I got the valve inspection cover gleaming. Must remind myself this is a refresh not a refurbishment, at least not this year.

channa

Refresh and refurbishment seem to be morphing into one, I am finding it all very interesting

StreetSleeper

When I had my unit Triumphs I had allen head tappets fitted..........I think it was half a turn out from closed and then nip up........ can't remember, old grey matter not working.

Rae

SimonM

Refresh and refurbishment seem to be morphing into one, I am finding it all very interesting
It’s a bit of a worry to me too. I could so easily put new stanchions on it as these are a bit pitted, and paint the oil tank and paint the mudguard stays and, and, and........

no! I’m just going to get it running and safe to ride for now. New master cylinder coming next week

SimonM

When I had my unit Triumphs I had allen head tappets fitted..........I think it was half a turn out from closed and then nip up........ can't remember, old grey matter not working.

Rae
my old all alloy T100 was like the Norton with square drive ends. I seem to recall that a quarter turn was a certain number of thou and gauges weren’t necessary. It’s all down to the pitch of the thread I believe. Then on my T110 motor with the ramp cams fitted, the marking on the end of the engine number being a circle around a cross, they were adjusted to zero clearance with the pushrod just free to revolve.

but they also said that a rattly Triumph engine was a fast one 😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)