A new private aire...legal hurdles

barge1914

We have a lot of knowledge and experience on this site. CAMpRA are starting to get enquiries from individuals interested in setting up new Aires on their property. Does anyone have detailed knowledge of the legal obstacles to be dealt with. Planning and highly restrictive campsite regs come to mind...possibly using certification process for 5 van sites? (Any input Phil?)

On the continent Aires often come under parking regs.. so I wonder about how to set up a private carpark for motorhomes? If anyone has direct experience of setting up an Aire themselves or know someone who has please PM me.

I've no personal experience of setting up an aire, but in terms of process there will be two routes. For small sites up to 5 vans the applicant will need to apply to one of the exempted organisations to be registered. The organisation will then approach the relevant Council regarding the proposal. In planning terms, it is treated as a consultation, eg is the site suitable in terms of access etc. If the Council object then the exempted organisation does not normally proceed any further. If the proposal is for more than 5 pitches then a formal planning application will be required for change of use of the land.

I am sure the organisers of CAMpRa will be aware of this but the C&CC publish information on how to set up a C. L.

I often think that rugby, football and other clubs together with community halls with a bit of parking would benefit from renting out portions of their carparks.

Davy

We were struck by the Freedom Camps in NZ, most were just very basic with just a long drop dunny type toilet and a water stand pipe, some were like a middling campsite. Many were on the outskirts of towns within easy walking distance, some were within the environs.
Even with the masses of gap year generationials turning up in clapped out old campers and vans, the camps were generally well looked after, only on a couple did we find a lot of litter or excrement.
One occasion we saw a foreign camper crapping in the bushes on site, he got such a roasting by a couple of Kiwi's I doubt very much he would try it again!

It strikes me that for a private individual wanting to do it on a small scale i.e. up to 5 vans, then the Freedom Camping Club route might work, although I have no experience of them.
Yes I was thinking a tie up with them might be fruitful. They are on my list of people to talk to. Looking at their site they are more flexible than the two big caravan clubs who are more likely to want to put spokes in our wheels. They don't demand membership, and at the moment don't really by comparison have all that many sites so may see benefit in our directing people their way...we live in hope.

We were struck by the Freedom Camps in NZ, most were just very basic with just a long drop dunny type toilet and a water stand pipe, some were like a middling campsite. Many were on the outskirts of towns within easy walking distance, some were within the environs.
Even with the masses of gap year generationials turning up in clapped out old campers and vans, the camps were generally well looked after, only on a couple did we find a lot of litter or excrement.
One occasion we saw a foreign camper crapping in the bushes on site, he got such a roasting by a couple of Kiwi's I doubt very much he would try it again!
Yes they are very proud of their environment and can be very harsh on those breaking the rules...good on 'em.

Surely if it’s just a park up and sleep, how do lorry parks work legally? Do they have to provide facilities? There might be some loophole to make it easier going down that route.

We have toured both the north and south islands and found their free camping the best set up in the world... the plus side is it's all done legally. Vehicles tested and checked with a self contained sticker on the rear and a test cert in the windscreen , all checked and enforced by the local council.
they do issue fines for non complying vehicles.
List of parking areas are available in local tourist offices...
Ps... I'm Welsh not a Kiwi , I just found the set up works......

I've no personal experience of setting up an aire, but in terms of process there will be two routes. For small sites up to 5 vans the applicant will need to apply to one of the exempted organisations to be registered. The organisation will then approach the relevant Council regarding the proposal. In planning terms, it is treated as a consultation, eg is the site suitable in terms of access etc. If the Council object then the exempted organisation does not normally proceed any further. If the proposal is for more than 5 pitches then a formal planning application will be required for change of use of the land.

I don't think it's quite like that = in terms of council approval, I mean = but isn't Phil an exempted organisation on behalf of Wildcamping.co.uk? Phil? Comment?

EDIT to add. If you put exempted organisation into the search box then you will pull up threads where just this matter has been discussed. This is one of them https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/n...nt-this-happen-in-uk.49145/page-2#post-587473

Last edited:
I don't think it's quite like that = in terms of council approval, I mean = but isn't Phil an exempted organisation on behalf of Wildcamping.co.uk? Phil? Comment?
The Council are consulted on CL or CS proposals I don’t see why other bodies would be exempt. Councils generally don’t get involved unless there would be an obvious problem eg access.....

The BIG Clubs will not be happy if you start opening Aires. Councils follow their recommendations of the 6m rule. Be interesting to find out if it's law or just something that is a general rule of thumb for Councils who cannot be bothered to look into it. Canterbury Aire don't seem to bother about the 6m rule.

The BIG Clubs will not be happy if you start opening Aires. Councils follow their recommendations of the 6m rule. Be interesting to find out if it's law or just something that is a general rule of thumb for Councils who cannot be bothered to look into it. Canterbury Aire don't seem to bother about the 6m rule.
They may not be happy but as a site licence is not required for a CL or CS, the 6 metre requirement is just the big Clubs carrying through their normal standards, in my experience Councils do not get involved in the internal layout of a cl or cs etc.

EDIT to add. If you put exempted organisation into the search box then you will pull up threads where just this matter has been discussed. This is one of them https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/n...nt-this-happen-in-uk.49145/page-2#post-587473

The Council are consulted on CL or CS proposals I don’t see why other bodies would be exempt. Councils generally don’t get involved unless there would be an obvious problem eg access.....

I should have made it clear that there are 3 types of exemption and the Councils involvement varies ......

Caravan club exemptions
There are 3 types of exemption for caravan clubs. You’ll need to state which exemption you want in your application form.

Supervised and occupied sites exemption
This is known as a paragraph 4 exemption.

This exemption allows you (for up to 28 days) to:

• use the site
  • let non-members bring and stay in their own caravan (if agreed with the landowner)
To be eligible for this type of exemption, you need to:

• have someone to supervise the site
  • be able to sign a legal contract with the landowner or manager
  • consult local councils and planning authorities before using a site - and not use a site if the council objects
Approved sites exemption
This is known as a paragraph 5 exemption.

With this exemption, your organisation can select sites for its members to stay on, by issuing certificates to the landowner or occupier. These certificates are valid for up to one year.

Non-members are allowed to stay on the site if your club and the landowner agree to it.

You’ll need to:

• set a maximum limit of 5 caravans at a time for each site
  • have a system for consulting neighbours and the local licensing authority (Natural England, or the Scottish or Welsh governments) before issuing a certificate
  • have a system for inspecting the sites and dealing with complaints from the public
  • send copies of the certificates you issue to Natural England, or the Scottish or Welsh governments (depending on where your club is based)
Club meetings or rallies exemption
This is known as a paragraph 6 exemption.

With this exemption, your club can use a site for club meetings, rallies or events. These meetings need to:

• last no longer than 5 days
  • be supervised by a member of the club
  • be open to members only

5 in one field, next 5 in another, and another and another, i that is me have seen 30 ? in all . ok pj. p.s. one field at a time.

he was having a crappy time, ok let it rip. ok.pj. p.s. one piece at a time. yho hold it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back