A dreaded generator question

Have to agree with above,missed a 3kw one last week on the bay for 76 bucks post free. :mad:

Regarding the pull on start up, with my eberspacher D4 I see no more than 6 amps draw on start up, I thought it was 10 but not seeing that now I can monitor better.

Regarding the pull on start up, with my eberspacher D4 I see no more than 6 amps draw on start up, I thought it was 10 but not seeing that now I can monitor better.
I don't know how or what you are using to measure but there is plenty of documentation on higher readings on start up and shut down. Put a 10A fuse in and see if it lasts that will soon tell you if your readings are right. Thats why they come with a 15A fuse. The glowpin alone is rated at 8v 70/80w and they are the same rated pins in both Chinese and Eber heaters

As above d2 between 6 and 8 amps at start dropping to less than 2 after its initialisation run....
Trick is to not set temp too high and not too low...
As it causes the heater to run at idle mostly... Thus keeping current pull to a minimum.

They are all doing better than Ebers own factory specs then. (y)

Specs will be worse case. IIRC I see 8 amps at 12V, but that's getting stepped up to 24V for the heater. There will be a bit of loss in that.

Capture1.JPG

And then turn the heater on

Capture2.JPG

So, yes, 8 Amps.

After as long as it took me to write all of that:

Capture3.JPG

3.1A running. Edit, just gone up to 4.1A.

Honda, very quiet but expensive. I have one and swear by it. Buy Honda buy once for lifetime.
I have a honda 2.8kw,its a bundle of sh one t ,bit like there outboard engines,there so bad i will not take them as trade ins or work on them,suzuki are bad to.

Ok, thanks for all the input. Will look further into a deisel heater. Have sent message to one recommended contact, no response yet. Will look at FB suggestion.

I recently posted a question about getting heating in my little van. Thanks for some suggestions but I have not had much success. One garage only does full conversions, one garage was in Scotland and one garage never replied.

The dreaded (love em or hate em)generator question? Should I get one for occasional power to run small electric heater. I can't see a situation where I would run it all night.

I know some of you have generators but i have not been able to get the information I need.
Therefore: can you get small generators? Quiet ones? Are they easy to use? Best place to buy and rough price guide.

Thanks very much.
If your cold park on a site with electric hook up and a £10 fan heater :unsure:

Specs will be worse case. IIRC I see 8 amps at 12V, but that's getting stepped up to 24V for the heater. There will be a bit of loss in that.
Which manufacturer ever gives you worst case figures. Especially with anything to do with the Auto industry and in particular a firm that has been fined millions for price fixing.

If your cold park on a site with electric hook up and a £10 fan heater :unsure:
Good Morning Harrow,
Yeah that’s often an option, But not always in the more out the way spots, Then your limited to being a site hopper for let’s say 4 months of the year.
I ‘Kinda’ do the same when I do my ‘Pit Stops’ for a night or so to Dump & Fill, Meet with Friends, catch up on washing etc etc Roughly once every 15 days ish. I budget £45 per month for the luxury..
I don’t use a Fan Heater though, I have got 4 x 150w oil filled Electric Towel heaters Fixed to the walls & dotted throughout The Nest, together with a Portable 200w ish Thurmo Tube Heater that just sits in the Cab area. So only 800w of heat BUT from Bow to Arse. Works ok, & Although NOT instant this set up Raises the temperature a good 10 - 15° C over a few hours. But i don’t have to worry about unplugging to put the Kettle or Toaster on !.
This one is in my Aft Bedroom by the Shower room

6C9FCE0B-312D-4C6F-AD90-BCF141479A07.jpeg

Then Two by the Loo that is in the Center of the Hab area
5DE94187-C045-4D33-A899-6D64FB20F490.jpeg

Then One by the Main Hab Door where I use to have that AWFUL Blinking Carver Gas Fire -
F926A35C-515F-41D4-B76B-121B5D1B4AA5.jpeg

And then as I said the Thurmo Tube normally sat on Nesty (My PRIMARY & Much preferred Heater by way of my Multi Fuel Heater That I don’t use when on site).

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have got a deal on those electric towel rails, they are posh !

No, I didn’t ☹️,
Bloody expensive for what they are, I had them bought for me as part of a deal I done for work & Pitch.
You know my lifestyle by now, I Love Bartering, Hate Money But Fully accept we all have to have it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back