A complete non issue really!

Ours is a northern Ireland reg but Christina is from the south and we live in the Scottish borders. Im christened James but get called Sam, work that one out!

I was christened Robert but get called all sorts of things!

. I remember seeing a coating advertised that was supposed to make plates unreadable by cameras. Anyone know if it works
Is it this one?

Hammerite-400ml-metal-paint-smooth-black.jpg
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Re the table in post #16
I think that’s been superseded tbh, I’ve not seen PO for Portsmouth for years.
I have a 2019 van with HX and a 2017 car with HN both local to the Portsmouth area.
Yes, you're right. The table is the old system. In the current system any reg beginning with C is Wales (Cwmru). I believe S is Scotland and W the west country etc etc.
BTW the table is wrong. DW was Newport. I will never forget Dad's reg when I .was 6 or 7, a Ford Prefect, HDW 38.

that list of registration areas is from when i was a lad in the sixties.i think the latest system is more beurocratic,,,the number recognition system is these days related to the registered keeper/ owner so that they can send you a free ticket to contribute to the government christmas party fund,as opposed to car spotters recognising the area the car was from,,,oh for the simp;e days:);),,,dont start me on brs transport depots and steam engine shed plates,,,i am still having therapy over them,oh and the complete volume of i-spy books is another story.:(😄😄.

Re the table in post #16
I think that’s been superseded tbh, I’ve not seen PO for Portsmouth for years.
I have a 2019 van with HX and a 2017 car with HN both local to the Portsmouth area.
And the one I had registered in Conwy / Bangor this year is CX not CA

Revolving number plates a la James Bond is the way to go. I remember seeing a coating advertised that was supposed to make plates unreadable by cameras. Anyone know if it works
It works with cameras that flash but if you get caught with it you get nicked.

At £250 for a cherished plate from DVLA I think it’s a cheap way of getting round this problem if you are worried what people think and makes your van look better imo.
I have a cherished plate on my motorhome so it bears no reference to where the vehicle was first registered or where I live.

Utter non-issue (and quite stupid when you think about it). Many (most?) panel van conversions are registered before conversion. My brand-new van has the registration prefix of the conversion company's location which is in a plague hotspot up north whereas I live in a 'safe' area down south.

Our has a private plate on but kept the tax disc holder on the windscreen because it was from VW Wrexham.(y)

The list of pre 2000 system registrations in post #16 was used after 1974 when a lot of plates changed. CH for instance, pre 1974 was a Derby number.

start a trend make up a number plate using the initials of a popular trader or company trawl DVLC to see if it is available and if so buy it then persuade the chosen trader or company and offer to advertise them for sponsorship.

Yes, you're right. The table is the old system. In the current system any reg beginning with C is Wales (Cwmru). I believe S is Scotland and W the west country etc etc.
BTW the table is wrong. DW was Newport. I will never forget Dad's reg when I .was 6 or 7, a Ford Prefect, HDW 38.
Ours was a devon plate,I was born and bred plymouth. DFJ 327

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back