7.5T HGV Conversion to Motor Caravan

The police are part of the reasoning behind the requirements Trev and the general public have to be able to look at one and definitely describe it as a motorhome, not a bread van or anything else, all to do with crimes committed in vehicles and witnesses being able to say what it was, So I would find myself a rozzer and get him to describe it as a motorcaravan in writing, I missed the window when I was getting my van changed, but the year before DVLA had local offices and you just needed to go there and they did it on the spot, but now it's all done at Swansea as a money-saving exercise but I don't think you can actually go there for a positive identification.
Yes they took all out tax/licence stuff from Ballymena to Swansea and mot tax etc is now a total co-k up.

Good luck with, actually FINDING a copper, let alone one bothered to spend his/her time writing a letter about motorhomes and camper vans....

They only enforce the rules not write them...

Your MP might be worth a try IF they're not too busy partying...
Depends on who you know really.

Might be a regional (GB vs NI) thing, but all cars and vans in GB have exhaust emissions test, and the criteria was tightened up a few years go as well.
They stopped the smoke test as some cars exploded due to then revving to hell, tried it on my van first mot which I turfed the chap out the driving seat, my mates engine went bang and so did the tester head when he deck the bugger, after that it stopped, apparently mot men's lives matter.

Nop min is motorcaravn on l book and in as phg as its 6.4 on the log book though in fact it weighs 4.3 allowing a 2 ton trailer if I wish, its also tested as a car but because of weight it has a smoke test done, bit silly as same engine in sub 3.5 vans which don't get exh test.View attachment 105581View attachment 105582View attachment 105583View attachment 105584View attachment 105586View attachment 105589View attachment 105590
Dunno about over the water mate, but any motorhome here should be PLG. Its just another indication that the tosspots in DVLA don't seem to have a clue....

Dunno about over the water mate, but any motorhome here should be PLG. Its just another indication that the tosspots in DVLA don't seem to have a clue....
Plg to 3.5 ton, yep the gov departments are to busy having parties at our expence.

My factory build motorhome is 4t and shows as PHGV Gregg, thought they all did from factory, not sure if different for conversion?

My factory build motorhome is 4t and shows as PHGV Gregg, thought they all did from factory, not sure if different for conversion?
Always thought the same, can't remember where I read it now but all motorhomes should be PLG. To be fair, when I looked recently the rules seem to have changed again so my info could be outdated now. Mine is taxed as a bus because DVLA won't change my logbook.

P LG - Private/Light Goods
P HGV - Private/Heavy Goods
Saying a Motorhome - or a Car for that matter - should be "Light Goods" regardless makes no more or no less sense than saying they should be "Heavy Goods".
As a Car is PLG, why should a Motor Caravan >3.5t not be PHGV, as the difference between LG and HGV is the weight threshold, not the use.

Edit: A Car is now a "Private Car", not PLG (my mistake there)

Last edited:
Just reporting what I'd read previously, never said it made sense😉🐻
There are two categories of potential interest on a V5C ...

1) The Tax Category - so PLG vs PHGV. That is down to weight (but doesn't always mean that defines the tax paid though)
2) Vehicle Category - When entered, typically M or N. There was a very short lived change for Factory Motorhomes to be M rather than N, but that was cancelled due to the high tax ended up paid due to the high emissions of the typical van engine (so actually a cancellation to benefit the owner).
I think #2 is what some people are mainly complaining about and wanted the M1 (SP) to be used, but then they moan they end up paying higher taxes. Having a category of PHGV is a benefit in fact.

These are not always applied right anyway. My 4.6t VW LT was down as a PLG and so the £265 annual tax, but would still need a C1/D1 license to drive. A sister van from the same council was a 3.5t VW LT and down as a PHGV. Standard license only but only £165 tax.

They stopped the smoke test as some cars exploded due to then revving to hell, tried it on my van first mot which I turfed the chap out the driving seat, my mates engine went bang and so did the tester head when he deck the bugger, after that it stopped, apparently mot men's lives matter.
Engine must've been whacked then if it went pop under mot test conditions....

Thought yours was a diesel anyway.... In which case it should rev any higher than the manufacturer set governer?

Always thought the same, can't remember where I read it now but all motorhomes should be PLG. To be fair, when I looked recently the rules seem to have changed again so my info could be outdated now. Mine is taxed as a bus because DVLA won't change my logbook.
Mine is named as iris bus but taxed as PHGV and motorcaravan on the l book.

Apparently when I changed my tax class from disabled people carrier, which was free, the post office guy couldn't give me PHGV as it was a bus. Only choice I had was PLG or bus so we went with bus at £165. Computer wouldn't allow PHGV because its registered as a minibus.

I guess it could have a changed anyway since my van was first registered in January 2007. Was just curious if they were putting factory builds in one class (PHGV) and conversions in another. Don’t suppose it matter than much apart from maybe a few pounds a year in excise duty, it’s really the motor caravan designation that a lot want.

Parking restrictions (on the assumption of whatever a sign says is legal/enforceable/etc) is where it can matter if a vehicle is a "Motor Caravan" or not.
You see signs that state "Parking for Motor Caravans only" - so a un-reregistered camper could fall foul.
There are also signs saying "no HGVs over 3.5t" - a Motor Caravan would likely be exempt
but ....
you also get signs that say "no Motor Caravans" - in which case a refusal from DVLA to reclassify would be a perfect defence to say you can park there :)

Pros and Cons to every situation :)

I don’t find parking much of a problem and I have been travelling with a mate in his 7.5t lorry conversion all of January lol
We aren’t after tourist type park ups though

Edit: well, I say with but I am in my van 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back