3/4G External Antenna- Does it really make a difference?

Alshymer

3/4G External Antenna- Does it really make a difference?
Would anyone recommend a particular one?
Is it possible to fit it yourself or best left to an expert?
Thanks

I mounted a Poynting Xpol on the lift up pole for the TV aerial....

Made a big difference to reception (combined extra height and reception not being in a aluminium box)
Connected to a teltonika rut 950 with EE data sim means we, now have reception in places we previously didn't....

Fitting was easy enough IF your happy pfaffing with brackets and having to possibly adapt stuff for where you want to mount it...

Ohhh and possibly drilling/sealing holes to route the cable

I mounted a Poynting Xpol on the lift up pole for the TV aerial....

Made a big difference to reception (combined extra height and reception not being in a aluminium box)
Connected to a teltonika rut 950 with EE data sim means we, now have reception in places we previously didn't....

Fitting was easy enough IF your happy pfaffing with brackets and having to possibly adapt stuff for where you want to mount it...

Ohhh and possibly drilling/sealing holes to route the cable
I have the same setup at home, but using the 3 network, and yes, the XPOL made a big difference. In the motorhome, I have a RUT955 and a Poynting Puck V1 antenna which have performed well - just the occasional spot in Scotland where the 3 signal was not usable, but there were some where there was no EE signal (to a phone, outside) but 3 was OK.

Yes it does. Poynting puck user here but I'm sure others are just as good. Bear with mind that if there is absolutely no signal at all then an antenna will not help. This happens to us in various areas of Wales.

BTW I didn't need another hole in the roof for the puck. It comes with a magnetic base and adhesive pad. I made a hole in the external upstand of a rooflight and looped the cable in behind the internal embellishing trim. The external hole was sealed with plenty of Sika. Been good for 2 years now.

Last edited:
I have little experience but a phone or our netgear nighthawk router inside the camper had not enough signal for use on one occasion, but with the connection nighthawk connected to our roof mounted poynting magnetic puck we did get a useful signal. That is only one test, but positive. I have since mounted a hinged base 3 foot aluminium mast on the roof with the puck bracket and a steel disc mounted on the top. So if the external puck is still not good enough I can move the puck to the steel disc and get it 3 foot higher. That is yet to be tested

I have the Poynting puck but not sure if it’s a 1 or 2 but mated to a Teltonika RUT 245(?). I also have a Hawai 5777 mated to an eBay special square aerial fitted inside top fridge vent (don’t need fridge vents).

If you have a decent to average signal having an antenna or not makes very little difference in my experience, it when signal goes from average to poor or even zero an antenna comes into its own. The Puck/Teltonika is much better than the huawei/generic in most instances but I do sometimes find it works the other way 👍

Some external aerials require a ground plane, read device instruction, something to consider if the roof is fibreglass and not aluminium or steel.

A ~30x30cm piece of stainless sheets makes a nice ground plane improving aerial sensitivity.

Some external aerials require a ground plane, read device instruction, something to consider if the roof is fibreglass and not aluminium or steel.

A ~30x30cm piece of stainless sheets makes a nice ground plane improving aerial sensitivity.
You only require half the wave length, MI 1 DTI.

You only require half the wave length, MI 1 DTI.

Can you explain MI 1 DTI?

Also can you explain why Poynting recommend a ground plane should be used with some of their antennas and why you are suggesting it isn't necessary please? I like some are possibly not experts in RF.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back