3/4 G External Aerial

witzend

3/4 G external aerial I've been using a Huawei B311 router successfully for over 2 years all over Europe and at home but this year is the first time we've been home at this time of year and over the last 2 mths my internet has slowed down, So would a external aerial help and what are You using that You'd recommend I've been looking at this type of aerial as the B311 only has one connector. Thanks for any Suggestions
And

I've had great success with a cheap and cheerful one like this...
I'm sure there are technically much better ones around but this has worked well for me.

I saw somewhere a Y cable that connected two antenna leads to one but no idea if they are any good. Give Solwise a shout and see what they say if not sure.
I wonder if on a device that dual antenna ports, you are able to just use one ok and leave the other unconnected?

I have an aerial but to be frank I find it makes little difference. I tried it out up at Rattigan (North west Scotland)'

Last edited:
I wonder if on a device that dual antenna ports, you are able to just use one ok and leave the other unconnected?

I used a dual antenna with only one connected and it worked fine, I had bought a dual antenna because I was planning to update my mifi in the near future

A bit of a minefield tbh.

imho the Best an external Omni aerial will get you is around 6dBi Gain.
Certain claims for cheap Chinese aerials at 10dBi are moot when they have 5m of cheap Aerial cable attached which loses more than the aerial gains....
Internal aerials for me don’t work either as I have a PVC van which is all metal plus the Blinds are in the main metal Backed so you are Effectively sitting in a faraday cage.

in the end i went for a external Poynting MIMO Aerial with short cables and get good reception on the mifi Device (netgear) when I get near zero on my iPhone inside the van.

Worthy of note when buying is look for it to be 5g ready too, I had it confirmed By them that the basic Poynting MIMO I have has the same internals as the later ones that are advertised as 5g ready.

Is your router the type that needs to be switched in its setting to external aerial mine does
Good point, my Huawei B535 is automatic switching but the mifi wasn't so connecting the external antenna on that made no difference unless you went into settings and changed to external, I found out after sending the first antenna back to be replaced 😳😳😳

Is your router the type that needs to be switched in its setting to external aerial mine does

I use an Huawei B315 CPE mifi. When I bought it it came with a panorama mimo antennae. Twice now when getting poor reception I have attached it to both ports in the rear of the mifi, but found it only increased the signal strength by around 10-15%, insufficient for tv reception which normally requires a minimum of 3mbps preferably 4mbps.

Thats the one after the B311 perhaps it auto switching like Tezza's I know the 2 aerial wires are for 2 different Freq's ranges does it matter which ones there plugged into ?

To be honest I plugged in both, perhaps I better read my instructions:cry:

To be honest I plugged in both, perhaps I better read my instructions:cry:
You'd need both plugged in I don't know but was wondering if it mattered which one went where although I've found out now that mine will accept 2 wires if I use the doubler that Nabsim mentioned

Yes but you'd only be using part of antenna as with 2 leads they are both suppling different sets of freq, Your router then chooses the better for your needs better to use the doubler suggested by Nabsin if only 1 connection is available. Mobile freq are a wide range better received by 2 antennas which are built into the 1 antenna with 2 leads.
A number of frequency bands are used for 4G LTE in the UK. There’s the 800MHz band, the 1400MHz / 1.4GHz band, the 1800MHz / 1.8GHz band, the 2100MHz / 2.6GHz band, the 2300MHz / 2.3GHz band, and the 2600MHz / 2.6GHz band.

I have one with twin TS9 ports and as soon as you plug one into the Mi-Fi box the 4G signal goes from 3 bars to 5 bars. I always plug them both in and it shows a decent improvement in signal.

I have one with twin TS9 ports and as soon as you plug one into the Mi-Fi box the 4G signal goes from 3 bars to 5 bars. I always plug them both in and it shows a decent improvement in signal.
the signal bar Is a good but rough indicator, You can look within the mifi device at the signal quality data (if your device allows it), Plenty of info on google. The simplest test is to do a speed test pre and post aerial connection.

Any chance of you mentioning a make / model or link

Any chance of you mentioning a make / model or link
The antenna is one from Motorhome Wifi here:

Quite pricey but was on the MH when I bought it. The router is a cheapo Huawei unit, model R216Z
Vodafone-R216Z-4G-hotspot.png

The antenna is one from Motorhome Wifi here:
Thanks I saw very similar by Maxview https://cpc.farnell.com/maxview/mxl050/roam-mobile-3g-4g-wi-fi-system/dp/AP03593# which has good reviews the Huawei B311 hasn't been any problem when in the van except in some remote parts of Portugal It's just the last few weeks at home that the signal has slowed right up I was hoping a external Ariel might help or maybe I'll just wait until the emmits go home and theres more signal to go around again

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back