2002 fiat ducato suntor Side Door Lock Issue

Maddad

Our Motorhome is quite old, 52 plate, but is in good condition. One thing that puzzles my wife and I is that the habitation side door, which is manual, can only be locked and unlocked from outside, which is a nuisance cos I have to go out through one of cabin doors to do this. I’ve attached pictures and would be grateful for any advice.

92EB6259-DF04-495D-B2D2-9EF9838F8790.jpeg
6C44306F-6C7C-4B58-94FB-7E8739CD3F08.jpeg
9EA44D97-55AC-4448-B6AE-C2609020A1B1.jpeg

Going to ask the obvious, have you tried turning the knob with the two wings on the centre of the lock?

Of course. Also tried pushing what looks like a button in the middle and combinations thereof, but no joy.

You are lucky to still be able to at least open and also have another door for access/egress.

Our N&B has only one door and has same lock as yours. From inside remove the 4 screws you see on pic three. Inside there is a small spring, with my MH this spring snapped with wear and tear, I now replace spring every two year.

Maybe yours requires a similar fix?

Just removed the screws to look inside and spring is intact. Starting think that locking and unlocking from inside is not possible.

I have exactly the same lock on my 2002 Fiat based motor home, as already said you just turn the knob with the two wings and it should lock or unlock, if the spring is intact it could be that the door needs adjusting, with the door open put something in the lock mechanism on the door and push down to lock it, I use a screwdriver normally, now turn the knob to see if it will unlock, if it does it needs adjusting to reduce the pressure on the lock

Last edited:
Yes Terry, it will be simple enough they are standard Fiat locks, when some one opened mine with a screwdriver I tried Brownhills for a new lock (it was only 4 months old) and the price shook me, I removed the lock and recognised it as being the same as Fiat cars, I replaced it with a Fiat Punto lock which was identical, £3 from a scrapyard, £145 from Brownhills.

Can you lock it from the inside?, if not it could be as simple as something like the knot is seized

Of course you can, how do you secure at night before going to bed?

With mine, I hold middle dial and turn clockwise to around 2 o’clock, door is locked from inside. To open, reverse of this back to 12 o’clock. Hope this helps.

With spring ok, try spraying with a silicon spray if you carry one with you.

I have to go out through one of cabin doors and lock or unlock, and back again.

Just tried what you said it’s not possible to hold central dial as its convex where it’s sides are flush with main handle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back