2 Hour motorhome Guitar challenge

barryd

I have a full 12v recording studio in the van now including (currently) two guitars, a synth, mics etc. No really! :love: Mrs D goes out walking for a couple of hours along the coast and cliffs and the challenge is to Learn a song, record it live, mix it and Post it on youtube before she who must be ignored comes back and starts asking why Ive not done me tasks. Surf Rider by The Lively ones and also from one of my favourite films. Pulp Fiction. However. Filming with a light source behind you, not a good idea. Played live on about the third or forth take. Full of mistakes! This is the current gear if anyone is remotely interested. I used a backing track for that but I Can build a track from scratch with percussion, strings (just about any sound you can think of), guitars, bass, vocals etc and mix it all even off hookup. I still cant fecking sing though but not much I Can do about that. :rolleyes: Anyone else play or record in the van. Acoustics are perfect in a...
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

POI Admin

POI Administrator
Fantastic! Love that. Very resourceful. Agree about the backlight issue. If you drew the blind behind you and changed the camera angle that should work.

Farman

Can't sing but do have a Yamaha mo6 synth and Taylor 324ce guitar in the van. And a few other bits and bobs left over from home studio days.

barryd

Cheers. I have a rock chick singer now who I work with. The technology has made a real difference. She's 250 miles away and we can work on stuff together either when I'm at home or In the van using the Internet and the same recording software. Its just for fun but I just love it. I'll dig a couple out if anyone's interested.

barryd

Thanks This is one I did with Tash my singer. Its from the series Nashville but the original is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard. Played just on a Piano with a single vocal but I wanted to "Rock" it up a bit to suit Tash's style (and my own really). I started it at home, finished it in a field on Flamborough head where we are now and she recorded the video in Maidenhead and I mixed it all in the van. It was the first video we did and messed up the sync a bit. The second one probably more well known but its another rock version of a classic. Ive written a lot of my own stuff but its a bit off the wall some of it. :D

barryd

Wow beats the sh#π out of my 3 chords, you gotta go to a meet 👅👅👅 . To be honest I would love to have put a band together with Tash but its never going to happen. I even tried to get a band going in the local area I live in but I live in the middle of nowhere and I got few friends interested but we were crap and there is never enough dedication and after a few studio jams which were fun (and loud) it fizzled out. Its a young persons game I reckon. Internet collaboration is a growing thing though and it is interesting. Would love to meet a few more musos that want to take part in that. Ive not played live in front of anyone since the Fruitcakes Croft meet in 2014 which was a proper giggle. Shame really. My Arthritis is that bad now though they would have to give me a chair which isnt very "Slash" or "Brian May". Crowd surfing would be right out! :ROFLMAO:

izwozral

Loved California Dreaming, I damn near slopped my tea on the keyboard because of chair head banging, Great guitar Barry and great sound.

daygoboy

Free Member
Didn't know Hank Marvin owned a Kon Tiki, and definitely a Shadowy silhouette against that window backlight. A really good few minutes listen. I'm envious, because always wanted to play but being left handed put me off yeah yeah!......is my excuse.

barryd

Loved California Dreaming, I damn near slopped my tea on the keyboard because of chair head banging, Great guitar Barry and great sound. Thanks. I was quite pleased with that one. I did it myself first but it came alive when Tash sang it. Drums are always the biggest problem. In the absence of a real drummer I either cobble together stock digital drum tracks or do them on the synth which is a PIA but I Dont know what Im doing really. I can sometimes spend hours, days even messing around with stuff but the time flys by. half decent bottle of red, bang out some tunes.

barryd

Total fail! Was two thirds of the way bashing out another surf song (Dont ask me why Ive started playing them) "Bustin Surfboards" (Pulp Fiction) and got carried away and bust my bottom E string bending it too far. Thats that then!! :( I have loads of strings with me. All bloody acoustic! Nearest guitar shop is 12 miles in Filey I think. I only had half an hour to go for the two hour challenge an all this morning! Oh well, you dodged a bullet there then. If anyones coming to Flamborough. Bring Strings! :)

barryd

40 years i have had a six string,still cannot play the thing.:mad: Guitar is quite a tough instrument to play really if for no other reason than training your fingers to press and hold all the right strings quickly enough. Electric guitar is probably easier than acoustic for that reason as its physically easier to press the strings. The "action" is more forgiving and the better the guitar and lower the action the easier (in theory) it should be to play. I started learning the keyboard a few months ago and now its a major part of the stuff I do. way easier to play than a guitar as there is no real technique or physical challenge in pressing the notes (keys). I spent an evening learning Whiter Shade of Pale about three weeks in as its all easy chords and white notes only. :) Sounded alright. Would have taken way longer on the guitar.

oppy

Well that's me blown out of the water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a few years since I've done much in the way backing tracks, what do you use to create yours? I am hooked on Q base SX7 and Band in a Box plus my ancient Akia sampler. Like you the dreaded arthriticals have kicked with a vengeance, so I just end up playing with myself !! I tried to post a video of me playing the answer to one of our quiz questions a little while ago, but had to get a you tube one instead. Perhaps you could pm me with how to do it so I to can show off and, like you, prove that us geriatrics can still rock Cheers Peter

barryd

Well that's me blown out of the water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a few years since I've done much in the way backing tracks, what do you use to create yours? I am hooked on Q base SX7 and Band in a Box plus my ancient Akia sampler. Like you the dreaded arthriticals have kicked with a vengeance, so I just end up playing with myself !! I tried to post a video of me playing the answer to one of our quiz questions a little while ago, but had to get a you tube one instead. Perhaps you could pm me with how to do it so I to can show off and, like you, prove that us geriatrics can still rock Cheers Peter LOL! That particular track i just used a backing track off the internet but I generally do my own now, well you have to for your own songs. I use Pro Tools First by Avid which is the free version of one of the best DAWs currently out there. Bass, guitar and now keyboards I can do myself but drums are a PIA. I either cobble together stuff I download or bash them out using drum...