17 year old transit MOT

suneye

:dance: Our 17 year old transit passed its MOT with no work and no advisories. In my experience people are all doom and gloom about Transits but ours has been flippin' brilliant. so if you are thinking of getting a transit don't let the doom sayers put you off.

Mine is on an "M" plate and passes every year. My plan was to keep it two years and then get rid, having got rid of the wandering itch, but she has got through her MOT for the past 6 years now. I do have a cheap local bodyshop to keep the paint work up to scratch though.

As long as you upgrade locks and secure the obd port and use a steering wheel lock or pedal box you might be able to keep it a wee while longer. 😂✌️

As long as you upgrade locks and secure the obd port and use a steering wheel lock or pedal box you might be able to keep it a wee while longer. 😂✌️

Why? I have an immobiliser and alarm. The vehicle isn't a prime attraction to thieves when there must be 30 motorhomes parked up in a half mile radius of me on the road.

Here’s what an obd port is. What Is the OBD-II Port and What Is It Used For?
Transits in particular are often stolen using an easily obtained kit which unlocks the door and then a device which plugs into the obd port and allows the engine to start.
I too have a disclock and they are a good deterrant but can quickly be removed by a determined thief.

Transits in particular are often stolen using an easily obtained kit which unlocks the door and then a device which plugs into the obd port and allows the engine to start.
I too have a disclock and they are a good deterrant but can quickly be removed by a determined thief.

The Transits we have don't have fancy electronic locks. They have a key.

I have a disclock but no idea what a obd port is! :confused:

On board diagnostics port..... Beneath the steering wheel Column on a mk6...
Scroates are able to plug into that and disable alarm/immobiliser usually after opening the door locks with a Tibbe lock pick a available for about £30 on ebay and slightly more for one for the Hykee "high security" replacements.

Disklok (ideally reinforced with extra welding)
Pedal lock
Electrical immobiliser
Fuel shut off alarm
Tracker
Etc etc etc are all sensible options (more layers... More time it takes Scroates and more likely they will chose an easier target)

This is someone taking their time....

[video=youtube_share;XuNm6KHAtiY]https://youtu.be/XuNm6KHAtiY[/video]

Ah! Yes not something a 17 year old transit has though! I think a determined thief would go after a more attractive target or if that determined nothing I can do will put him/her off.

Transits are a brill van, run lots of them through work. Security not good but you can overcome that yourself.

Usual method of attempting to remove a Disklok is to try to "peel" it off....

Well worth spending some time to improve strength to that area AND hinges/lock etc etc

Ah! Yes not something a 17 year old transit has though! I think a determined thief would go after a more attractive target or if that determined nothing I can do will put him/her off.

I think that yours will have an obd port, and that the van is attractive to a thief in that it is so easy to steal.

Usual method of attempting to remove a Disklok is to try to "peel" it off....

Well worth spending some time to improve strength to that area AND hinges/lock etc etc

[video=youtube_share;X4jbXkqEKMk]https://youtu.be/X4jbXkqEKMk[/video]

See about 9.30

[video=youtube_share;X4jbXkqEKMk]https://youtu.be/X4jbXkqEKMk[/video]

See about 9.30

I should have phrased it slightly better.... Usual way NOT using a battery grinder...
Frankly battery grinders are the scourge of the modern world in the hands of scrotes.

After I've added extra welding to a dislklok it'll take more noise and effort than your average scrote can be arsed with...

In fairness some won't even bother with a grinder... It'll just get lifted...
But hey... If there's mine with a beefed up disklok and another nearby without.
Which one would you put money on disappearing?

:dance: Our 17 year old transit passed its MOT with no work and no advisories. In my experience people are all doom and gloom about Transits but ours has been flippin' brilliant. so if you are thinking of getting a transit don't let the doom sayers put you off.

Unless it's a MK 6, I've had 2 came with every thing, included factory fitted rust at no extra cost .
I now have a later tranny as a run around and it's a lot better.,(58 plate).

Maybe Transits are easy to steal but they're still the best selling van in the UK and have been for many years so if your running a 17 year old one parts are still easy to get not like a 17 year old Ducato. Plus I have a customer who runs six 18 plate Sprinters and so far three have been stolen, the dealer fitted deadlocks didn't help and the dealer fitted trackers were diisable on two of them and the third one was found on a bench outside a pub less than two miles away from where it was stolen, bottom line is if they want they'll take it.

Regards,
Del

Maybe Transits are easy to steal but they're still the best selling van in the UK and have been for many years so if your running a 17 year old one parts are still easy to get not like a 17 year old Ducato. Plus I have a customer who runs six 18 plate Sprinters and so far three have been stolen, the dealer fitted deadlocks didn't help and the dealer fitted trackers were diisable on two of them and the third one was found on a bench outside a pub less than two miles away from where it was stolen, bottom line is if they want they'll take it.

Regards,
Del

And on the plus side the bits we have had to buy for it (the odd reversing accident - you can't trust those trees!) have been SO cheap it's not been a tragedy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back