12v fridge recommendations?

Clunegapyears

Bit of a weird one for a motorhome forum.
Our Adria will be disappearing in October back to Slovenia on a low loader for new side wall… Don’t ask! It will be gone at least six weeks. Given the Adria lead time more like 12 weeks!
So we will be off in the car, back to Crete to overwinter in an apartment. We will probably drive but don’t want to have to eat out lunchtime and evenings so I thinking about a portable fridge that can plug into the cigarette lighter.
Anyone got one to sell or reviews?

Most are only cool boxes and only go down 20c below ambient outside temp,there are proper small compressor top loading fridges but there are pricy,look ebay.

I would definately avoid the coolboxes. noisy and will kill the car battery if used with the engine off.
My suggestion would be to get a Dometic (Waeco) Coolfreeze (so a top loading fridge I guess as Trev might say :) ). They are as good as any compressor conventional Fridge, more efficient and once you are finished with your trip, you could resell it for close to or even better then you paid for it if you caught it at the right time.
This is an example at a reasonable price right now. https://amzn.to/2ZvAR58

I used one of these, but the 36L model in my VW T4 Camper and it worked great.

Another vote for top load compressor fridge. Dometic, ARB, Engel and Snowmaster are probably the best known, but lots more.

All seem pricey, but quality products.

I would definately avoid the coolboxes. noisy and will kill the car battery if used with the engine off.
My suggestion would be to get a Dometic (Waeco) Coolfreeze (so a top loading fridge I guess as Trev might say :) ). They are as good as any compressor conventional Fridge, more efficient and once you are finished with your trip, you could resell it for close to or even better then you paid for it if you caught it at the right time.
This is an example at a reasonable price right now. https://amzn.to/2ZvAR58

I used one of these, but the 36L model in my VW T4 Camper and it worked great.
That was a much better price than eBay. Just ordered it so many thanks. Quick delivery too ... 6th. Small but should be fine for our purposes.

When I was first looking at these a few years ago, I found the price on Amazon would change on a near-daily basis and bounce up and down by literally hundreds of pounds!
So one to keep an eye on, revisiting all the time and when the price is right for you, buy it right then before it goes up again :)

They sell s/hand like hot cakes,many tent campers buy them for there car,almost impossable to buy cheap used as they hold there price.

Bit of a weird one for a motorhome forum.
Our Adria will be disappearing in October back to Slovenia on a low loader for new side wall… Don’t ask! It will be gone at least six weeks. Given the Adria lead time more like 12 weeks!
So we will be off in the car, back to Crete to overwinter in an apartment. We will probably drive but don’t want to have to eat out lunchtime and evenings so I thinking about a portable fridge that can plug into the cigarette lighter.
Anyone got one to sell or reviews?
Give me a few weeks to check out this freezer I’ve bought. It will run from -20c to + something. So it should perform equally as well as a fridge. £219 with a LG compressor. So it’s a proper unit. Use it as a fridge during your predicament, then you’ll have a freezer/ outdoor fridge. It’ll save you* from having to rush back into the van for ice. G&T.
* I say you, as a generic term. I mean or course, the staff 😬

Have a look this one plugs into mains or a 12v connector

Theres a 50 litre version also available.

fair price, but being an absorption fridge it will eat the battery and not cool fantastically either on 12V more than likely.

fair price, but being an absorption fridge it will eat the battery and not cool fantastically either on 12V more than likely.

Here’s the figures see what you think
But at 5.42amp DC looks heavy.
Also is that max or average.

• Defrosting Automatic
  • Capacity:40Litre
  • Input power:65W
  • Dimensions:40cm Width X 45cm Depth X 56cm Height
  • Weight:20 kg
  • Voltage:AC 240V&DC12V
  • Energy consumption:0.7kWh
  • Rated current:AC 0.3A,DC 5.42A
  • Temperature range:37℉-53℉(3-12℃)
  • Cooling system:Absorption refrigeration
Item features
  • AC 240V /DC 12V single reversible door refrigerator/cooler without freezer
  • Silent absorption with no moving parts for quiet operation,no noise
  • Fully enclosed design, lifetime use without adding refrigerant
  • Reversible door
  • Sealed system,No need refrigerant,Inclinable Reversible Easy Transport
  • Indoor/outdoor Fridge:Voltage election between AC and DC power - with AC priority
  • Smart body fit for many space,whatever you need it freestanding or build-in
  • Easy operation,best for home,dorm,garage,apartment,hotel,bar,camping,High-way traveling,car,truck
  • Suitable for any model truck which can provide DC power, such as Freightliner cascadia/Container train// International Prostar/A sleeper etc.

Here’s the figures see what you think
But at 5.42amp DC looks heavy.
Also is that max or average.
I think the absorption fridges run constantly unlike the Compressor ones. So if that is the case you'd take the typical 100Ah battery below it's 50% discharge within half a day.
I think these kind of fridges are great for caravanners who use campsites, so the battery only use will be limited to lunchtime and travel breaks from one site to the next, and the rest of the time powered by the alternator when driving and EHU on site.

The coolboxes/fridges work well but they work better in cooler climates they only take them down to a certain point below ambient temp so forget ice cubes with G+T cooled water is best you will get

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back