Fisherman

I just want to pass my most sincere heart felt sympathy to everyone who has suffered so terribly due to Covid. We reached an awful landmark yesterday, one I personally never thought we would reach. But I know this has been said already, but it’s worth repeating. These people are not merely a number to be jotted down in history books, when such books are written. I have personal experience losing a friend and my wife work colleagues. Let’s not forget those families and friends who are still suffering. Many were unable to visit their loved ones in their final hours, and when they passed away their funerals were so cruelly limited to a small number of socially distanced mourners.

Yes there have been mistakes made, some avoidable and some possibly not. But this is not the time for recriminations, or for apportioning blame.

But right now lets give a thought for all those who have sadly passed away and all those who are still suffering, my thoughts are truly with them right now.

If anyone wishes to post on this thread, can I ask that this thread should be free from recriminations or political point scoring. Instead use this thread solely to show our feelings for those who may read this and who are suffering, they have to be our primary concern right now.

I apologise for the solemn nature of this thread, I just think that we should pay our respects on here.

RIP

I just want to pass my most sincere heart felt sympathy to everyone who has suffered so terribly due to Covid. We reached an awful landmark yesterday, one I personally never thought we would reach. But I know this has been said already, but it’s worth repeating. These people are not merely a number to be jotted down in history books, when such books are written. I have personal experience losing a friend and my wife work colleagues. Let’s not forget those families and friends who are still suffering. Many were unable to visit their loved ones in their final hours, and when they passed away their funerals were so cruelly limited to a small number of socially distanced mourners.

Yes there have been mistakes made, some avoidable and some possibly not. But this is not the time for recriminations, or for apportioning blame.

But right now lets give a thought for all those who have sadly passed away and all those who are still suffering, my thoughts are truly with them right now.

If anyone wishes to post on this thread, can I ask that this thread should be free from recriminations or political point scoring. Instead use this thread solely to show our feelings for those who may read this and who are suffering, they have to be our primary concern right now.

I apologise for the solemn nature of this thread, I just think that we should pay our respects on here.

RIP

Absolutely right Fisherman and very well put. Thank you ... Victor

So much suffering and loss. There will be a time for recriminations, whether just or not, but this is not it.
Even those who are not part of the numbers, but passed for other reasons have grieving families who are affected by the restrictions and we should remember them too. Arguably some of these deaths were influenced by Covid.

So much suffering and loss. There will be a time for recriminations, whether just or not, but this is not it.
Even those who are not part of the numbers, but passed for other reasons have grieving families who are affected by the restrictions and we should remember them too. Arguably some of these deaths were influenced by Covid.

Absolutely REC, when I said “all those who suffered so terribly due to Covid“ I meant them also. I know that the figure is false, but it’s a landmark that will have real meaning to those who have lost love ones. Wether due directly or indirectly to Covid. But thank you for clarifying this.

Reactions: REC
There are four 'classes' of victims of this disease, and it is a sobering thought.
There are over 100,000 dead, many taken well before their time, and 10's of thousands still to come.
There are the relatives of the dead, some like gf's aunt who suffered at home whilst her husband died alone in hospital, and having a 'token' funeral with little closure.
There are over 300,000 long covid sufferers, already 81 centres set up to help.
Their are the those whose mental health has suffered due to lack of contact with friends and family, or just plain fear of the disease.
Whilst we should spare a thought for all, we need to be careful we don't end up in the last category by becoming overly morbid.

It is simply a huge problem disaster. As Fisherrman posted our thoughts should be mainly for those affected ( in all ways)
I believe justified recriminations will come ...Slowness to react in particular (now is not the time)
Boris did seem, rightly, distraught yesterday. I say no more as it would be deemed political.
i have no wish to be politcal over it..the humanitarian cost is so much more important !
The whole country will need to work together ahead...Hard times for a huge percentage of the poulation.
But the deaths and loss of family/friend/workmates is almost unbearable for many (too many).
We have been inconvenienced but that is all and that is ZERO ( a big fat zero )

Last edited:
We have been inconvenienced but that is all and that is ZERO ( a big fat zero )

That’s an excellent point jagmax, we (most) have had to endure an inconvenience. One day we will all be on our travels again. Sadly those who have perished won’t. And those who lost love ones will be left suffering.
I will not celebrate when this is finished. That in my opinion would be wrong. I will get on with my life, and hopefully those who have sad memories will eventually manage to do likewise.

I actually feel guilty now. I live in the middle of nowhere in an area with a very low infection rate and dont have to go anywhere really. Its almost like its all happening somewhere else. I sit here typing this and in the towns and cities not that far away thousands of people, key workers and many others are playing Russian roulette with this awful virus every day. I feel bad that I cant do anything to help really and I am able to hide away.

However the virus has a habit of biting you on the arse when you think you are safe. A dear old close friend (Retired farmer) who has pretty much being isolating for a year called me two days ago from the Covid ward in Durham. He now has Covid and is on oxygen. I think I know how he got it, just one slip up was all it took. He was due a vaccine on Friday. Brings it home to you when someone close gets it.

It is terribly tragic and my thoughts go out to all who have lost loved ones or have been stricken by this plague. Hopefully one day we can get out of it and I actually think we should look forward to celebrating that.

As barryd mentions above, I too am lucky living in the middle of nowhere with virtually no contact with outside world.

With the grim milestone now passed we can only hope and pray that there won’t be tens of thousands more families that have to suffer due to this nasty disease. All our thoughts have to be with the families of the bereaved.

On a positive note, my other half is now busy vaccinating. As everyday goes by she says it feels like we’re getting that one tiny step closer to regaining control. Bless her, I’ll be spoiling her rotten once all this is over!

I will be celebrating (sorry Bill) to me it will be the end of the dark days and hopefully a restoration of normality, especially for the younger generation.

A bit like VE day really, huge celebrations but nobody was forgetting the dead and bereaved.

I will be celebrating (sorry Bill) to me it will be the end of the dark days and hopefully a restoration of normality, especially for the younger generation.

A bit like VE day really, huge celebrations but nobody was forgetting the dead and bereaved.

Rob, please don’t apologise. I was not speaking for anyone other than myself when I made that remark.
I of course will be happy to do things and meet people when this is finally over.
I cannot wait to get the van out.

Rob, please don’t apologise. I was not speaking for anyone other than myself when I made that remark.
I of course will be happy to do things and meet people when this is finally over.
I cannot wait to get the van out.

Cheers Bill.

I know I likened it to VE day, but in hindsight mass celebrations would probably be foolish. And as Marie said it will be a gradual process rather than a clear cut off with liberties returned in stages.

I will definitely get together with friends for a drink when allowed though, but the ultimate celebration will be getting in the van and heading for Scotland and being able to stop at various watering holes on the way!

We have been lucky and not had COVID and we live in an area where cases were quite high, Ron's mum is 90 next month and has had her jab, a friend of mine passed recently through COVID and that was a shock. We will get over this and life will go on but it will take a long time before it is normal. My thoughts also to those that have passed and their families and those that will have long term health problems from this.

We have been lucky and not had COVID and we live in an area where cases were quite high, Ron's mum is 90 next month and has had her jab, a friend of mine passed recently through COVID and that was a shock. We will get over this and life will go on but it will take a long time before it is normal. My thoughts also to those that have passed and their families and those that will have long term health problems from this.

Really sorry to hear of your friends passing, I had the same sad experience.
I agree normality won’t return for years, the measures may end later this year but the emotional and economic effects will be felt probably for the rest of my life.
Lets hope that we all get through this and get back to what we all love.
Meeting family and friends, holidays, shopping, and getting out with our vans etc.
We have booked a hotel for the camping and caravan exhibition at the NEC in October, then the following week we hope to get back to Madeira, fingers crossed.

Wifes father had to go to hospital in an ambulance last night as sus heart attack and had trouble with his swallow, wife was talking to ambulance men of whom one we know, he has not been to see his mum in almost a year and had little rest, these folk also require our support. (y)

a friend posted actually think it was christine a meme saying
THE NUMBERS ARE BECOMING NAMES
that is so true like barry we have always had a very low r rate during the tiers rutland was the little island in the middle of the country but cousins in scunthorpe, brighton & liverpool have all lost family hopefully that little light at the end of the tunnel will turn in to the full glow of the sun

Wouldn't wish sorting out this chaos on anyone. How were they supposed to know what was going to happen. Everything is changing by the hour and what is right now will be totally wrong tomorrow. All you can ask is that they do their best in very trying circumstances.

Friend of mine worked for Emergency Planning so when a plane crashed on the motorway near East Midlands they had a plan in place to coupe with it. So you send all the Ambulances, Paramedics and Doctors to the site and they send all the badly injured back to the hospital for treatment. Biggest problem of course was all the Doctors were at the crash site working their way through the casualties so they had to re-write the plan.

Much the same is going to happen here. They will look at what went wrong and how they should have responded in the first place. They will also look at how other countries handled the problem.

What they didn't bank on was a new strain that was even more infectious than the one they were already dealing with. I think the boffins had an idea that it would happen but you cannot go jumping up and down telling people something MAY happen. Viruses mutate, vaccinating the population will also cause it to mutate as it tries to replicate itself in people who have been vaccinated. This is what viruses do. Their whole purpose in life is to infect people and get the host to pass them on.

All we have to do now is find out where it came from and try and stop it happening again. China holds all the clues to this. If they ever tell the truth that is. Be interesting to see what the WHO find or if it has all been cleaned up and buried.

This morning I spoke to several of our neighbour's , all had the same message . .I have got a date for my covid jab us included ., So keep extra safe don't fall at the last post .the light is at the end of the tunnel.

I just hope that those wo are vaccinated realise (I belive) that they can still be contagious..
Even when say 25% of us have been vaccinated the other 75% are sill at risk from the 25%.
I could/should be a longish lockdown albeit with some minor relief ahead !
I suspect lack of any significant lockdown was the problem late summer and in the autumn leading to the situation we have now !
But I am no expert ! So just my view.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back